Fed up with Friend Codes

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Fed up with Friend Codes

Postby Neo48 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 pm

So I just spent the last hour or so trying to figure out why I couldn't find any random battles in Pokemon SoulSilver. After reading a very misleading instruction booklet and not finding answers online, I realized the cold hard truth: I need friend codes.

Some of you know that I am very against this strategy by Nintendo. It's not because I am an Xbox fanboy or something. I don't mind Nintendo trying to be different. The problem I have is with the process they have forced on the gaming community. That process is what I will call "The Forum Friend Code Share."

Just look at the Phantasy Star Zero section of this forum and you will see we are a victim. Instead of being able to search for each other in-game we have to use an archaic form of adding each other. It is supposed to be online gaming, not Facebook! Fortunately though, the game does provide random connection (that sometimes ends up being sloppy because of a lack of communication).

Nintendo has no excuse for pokemon. If I want to play a few battles here or there, it shouldn't require the long process of putting down your friend code in a thread and waiting for private messages of who added you. I mean, do you really care? These people aren't my friends! I just want to play a videogame for an hour. Not spend 45 minutes waiting for someone to add me then provide a meeting time somewhere in my AM.

Friend codes are not a step forward in gaming. Maybe they help senior citizens and children understand the net a bit more, but long time gamers know that it harms the enjoyment of a game.

Feel free to defend friend codes. We'll have ourselves a good discussion.
Last edited by Neo48 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby thriwren » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 am

Pokemon type game can benifit greatly from a non friend code style enviroment. FC is good if you are looking for someone specific, but not if you are looking for no one in particular.
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Yes, they suck.

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:21 am

I've been in discussions like this before.

Friend codes versus finding a random guy looking for a match.

I agree with you in that friend codes are an unnecesary burden.

They could be useful in being set to keep safe kids who use a Wii online or as mentioned, find someone in particular. However, measures like that are nothing but an obstacle for adults who would only like a quick match.

I'm not a kid who needs to be protected. Also, it gets even more ridiculous when kids have to be kept safe by a company instead of their parents.

If someone buys SOMETHING that can go online, standard practice SHOULD BE to teach the younger users of what the risks can be. Logical things like not giving personal information to people they don't know, keeping publicized information to a minimum (Facebook for example), not accepting files from unknown persons, among a few other LOGICAL things people do in their daily lives.

Some kids are also very careful when properly instructed. It's not like they can't distinguish from something dangerous and another something that isn't. Kids aren't morons.

Holy cow! This is my 400th post! Sniff, sniff, I would like to thank the academy, and my producer, and my... Sniff, sniff, I'm freaking out! But I still want to accept this price in the name of.......................panties..........

HAHAHAHAH!!
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Neo48 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:03 am

Yeah, I agree that it is nice for finding people in particular. But to be honest, Diablo 1 had a better system of adding specific friends.

If someone buys SOMETHING that can go online, standard practice SHOULD BE to teach the younger users of what the risks can be. Logical things like not giving personal information to people they don't know, keeping publicized information to a minimum (Facebook for example), not accepting files from unknown persons, among a few other LOGICAL things people do in their daily lives.

Exactly. This is something that I was taught long ago when I first was introduced to the internet (it wasn't in as wide of usage as it was now). Learning from mistakes also provides good lessons.

Nintendo could even be hurting the gamer population by forcing children to sign up on random forums in search of people to play with. Is it just as possible for a predator to sit in a forum than sit in a World of Warcraft server? I think it is. In fact, they may be able to target forums that are built for games aimed at kids.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 am

Maybe a good alternative would be to make a hybrid system. Keep the friend codes (I'm sure some people like them), but make it so they are not necessary to play online, like the way you can do with the PS3, but adding the option to configure it to the way it already is in the Wii by parents that prefer extra security...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Neo48 wrote:Just look at the Phantasy Star Zero section of this forum and you will see we are a victim. Instead of being able to search for each other in-game we have to use an archaic form of adding each other.

I don't see how looking for each other online by looking everywhere is better than adding each other's friend code. You seem to agree with this yourself in later posts.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Semix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

I am a PS3 fanboy sadly, but wii online was just, not really online gaming to me. Yes I know I'm one who says COD is proper online, well in my opinion its much easier and more accessible. Playing with strangers, just mute them.
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Neo48 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:32 pm

I don't see how looking for each other online by looking everywhere is better than adding each other's friend code. You seem to agree with this yourself in later posts.

It is necessary to make the distinction between finding people and adding people. I'm not against using a forum to find people. This is not a useful strategy for adding people to a video game online. As I said, a game from the mid 90s does a better job.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 pm

So that's what the friend codes are about.
Doesn't look good, imo.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 pm

I don't get Neo's beef as I rarely play Nintendo games online anyway.

If putting in a 12 digit number and scheduling a session is an issue, which I personally don't have a problem with, then don't buy another Nintendo product when they, in hindsight, stated of supporting online gaming to a MINIMUM.

At least we're getting it for free.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 pm

thepeaguy wrote:At least we're getting it for free.
You got point there, bro.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Neo48 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I don't get Neo's beef as I rarely play Nintendo games online anyway.

If putting in a 12 digit number and scheduling a session is an issue, which I personally don't have a problem with, then don't buy another Nintendo product when they, in hindsight, stated of supporting online gaming to a MINIMUM.

At least we're getting it for free.

Thats okay, I'm probably kicking a dead animal of a topic anyway. The freedom aspect certainly is the saving grace of Nintendo's online world (But who cares if the game doesn't work. I'm looking at you Smash Bros).

Trust me, I have been shaken up by Nintendo in this generation as far as online gaming goes. I think I will be putting more resources into a PC for my online gaming future.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Neo48 wrote:Thats okay, I'm probably kicking a dead animal of a topic anyway. The freedom aspect certainly is the saving grace of Nintendo's online world (But who cares if the game doesn't work. I'm looking at you Smash Bros).

Trust me, I have been shaken up by Nintendo in this generation as far as online gaming goes. I think I will be putting more resources into a PC for my online gaming future.

I think Nintendo need to get with the times, but what do you expect when old farts there churn another Metroid?
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Neo48 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:17 am

I'm not sure Nintendo will change anything until they start losing money again, which could very well not happen for a very long time.

I do love Metroid myself, but the announcement of a new one did leave me surprised. Same with Mario Galaxy 2. I want a new F-Zero but I don't think Nintendo believes in fast learner curves anymore. And where is Star Fox?
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to General Discussion