Page 1 of 1

Oldest galaxy discovered so far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:30 am
by Wing-0
Kind of old news by now, but here...

http://gizmodo.com/5669927/this-is-the- ... ever-found

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:49 am
by Tanith
I love that Hubble image. Look at all those galaxies! It took 13 billion years for the light from that galaxy to reach us. Though we can barely see it as more than a speck, I wonder what that galaxy looks like in the present?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm
by Wing-0
Actually, I was asking myself that question. An astronomer I know was around and I had the opportunity to ask her. She said that most likely the galaxy has more red spots, since those are very old red stars, as well as many black holes in it. Its shape should be more like a spiral as well, since that denotes age in a galaxy too.