Ask Josh

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Ask Josh

Postby Tanith » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:34 am

In this thread, Guru Carlsojos will answer your most burning questions.

Dear Josh,

My right ear seems to be... clogged? Everytime I breathe in through my nose, it seems to affect my right ear. It's not painful, but it's been a great nuisance for the last two days. Do you know what might be the problem?
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: Ask Josh

Postby carlsojos » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:45 am

Tanith wrote:In this thread, Guru Carlsojos will answer your most burning questions.

Dear Josh,

My right ear seems to be... clogged? Everytime I breathe in through my nose, it seems to affect my right ear. It's not painful, but it's been a great nuisance for the last two days. Do you know what might be the problem?

Actually, air pressure between the nasal cavity and the ear canal are interrelated. A proof of this is to pop your ears by plugging your nose and trying to exhale out of it, and this is also why sinus infections may sometimes affect balance (equilibrium is controlled by a slight pressure difference between your ears). I don't think it's clogged as much as something is irritated in the area, allowing the air to flow more freely than normal. My medical training doesn't exceed standard First Aid, but I think the situation should correct itself in under a week.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:50 am

Thank you, o Wise One! *bows respectfully*
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:15 am

Dear Josh... I am bored out of my mind tonight... Do you have a recommendation that does not involve doing something productive?
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby carlsojos » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:35 am

Trogdor wrote:Dear Josh... I am bored out of my mind tonight... Do you have a recommendation that does not involve doing something productive?

That depends on what form of unproductive entertainment you desire. Unless you have a more specific request, I shall suggest a random downloadable game from my harddrive...

Survivor-The Living Dead. Action/Zombie game. The general premise is that you're trapped in a house and have to survive for the allotted time until help arrives. It's difficult before you discover all the possibilities to fight back the zombies, but I find it pretty fun. You can tell that the game was made by a male simply by the breast size of the protagonist, too.

http://www.radicalendeavors.com/Site/Survivor_Here.htm

Do press me for more suggestions if you need them, my collection of games is over 100. I have a little knowledge of other forms of entertainment, but you didn't specify if you were looking for anything in particular.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Dear Josh

I can't seem to get up at the time I set my alarm at. It ends being snoozed until I get out of bed a couple hours later. I tried putting it some distance away from my bed so I'd have to get out to silence it, but that worked for me only once.

Any tips on how to get out of bed on time?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby carlsojos » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:02 am

BenoitRen wrote:Dear Josh

I can't seem to get up at the time I set my alarm at. It ends being snoozed until I get out of bed a couple hours later. I tried putting it some distance away from my bed so I'd have to get out to silence it, but that worked for me only once.

Any tips on how to get out of bed on time?

For this one, it's a good idea to analyze how an alarm works, and how it can fail in it's task.

A typical alarm generates an audible sound which interrupts your mind's natural sleep pattern and draws your alertness out quickly- this is possible because your hearing remains active while asleep to detect incoming predators back before civilization was invented.

There are two primary ways for this to fail. One, if the sound isn't loud enough or your mind doesn't interpret it as a possible threat, and tunes it out. The other failure mode occurs when you register it, but don't gain enough alertness to perform anything beyond than a semi-conscious reaction- namely, hitting the snooze button.

I say there are two methods that need to be implemented. First, you need a high-output stereo system, and load it with some loud, fast, and varied music. It can't be a flat tune because the mind is more likely to ignore patterns. Step 2 is to create a box to hold it, and lock it with a combination lock. The loud sound will serve to wake you, and the cognition required to operate the lock should provide an extra boost to bring your alertness to you. There is one final thing- make sure you leave your bedroom immediately after you silence this custom alarm clock, you will be less likely to go back to bed if you are nowhere near it.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:09 am

BenoitRen wrote:Dear Josh

I can't seem to get it up at the time I set my alarm at...

LOL, could not resist.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Haaiku » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Hey, im having problems auctually doing work. everytime i say im gonna do something, get up, get it ready, and find myself bored to shit, and messing around with everything BUT what im supposed to be working on. one prime example is PSV (psst, dont tell missagh, keep that to yourself!). do you have anything to help? maybe motavation? (i dont think that works, Survivor : the living dead is too addictive of an award, and plants v.s. zombies will make my mind pretty much blank.)
Haaiku
Locusta
Locusta

Postby carlsojos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:57 am

Haaiku wrote:Hey, im having problems auctually doing work. everytime i say im gonna do something, get up, get it ready, and find myself bored to shit, and messing around with everything BUT what im supposed to be working on.

I've taken my time with answering this question because this is actually the sort of thing that I deal with myself. Rewarding yourself is out of the question because there isn't really anything to stop you from cheating. In my experience, the best situation I have found for myself is when I have 30-90 minutes set aside during my peak activity. In my case, this is during the "lunch" break in the middle of my work shift. Other factors that have been present in these situations is that I did not have any specific targets to hit, I was unable to connect to the internet, and I was somewhat isolated from other people, liniting my awareness of anything else. It is important that you have something important to do immediately prior to your work session to help make sure you are focused, and having something else afterward will help prevent you from unfocusing during such a short session.

I hope this helps.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to General Discussion