Things That Should Not Exist

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Things That Should Not Exist

Postby Black Sword » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:29 am

We've all been around the web a time or two. Sometimes, we encounter things that make even Cthulu stir unpleasant. This thread is dedicated to those things that should not exist.

The first post is thanks to Amy, who provides us with those little number.Barbie and the Three Musketeers!

Tally...ho?
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Things That Should Not Exist

Postby Eddiespruce » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

In my opinion, first person shooters should not exist. They killed video games.
Eddiespruce
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:29 am

How? I enjoy first person shooters in a similar way to those drooling robots that buy from Microsoft, yet I can enjoy other genres.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Eddiespruce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:06 am

I grew up playing platformers and RPG's back in the early 90's, and when first person shooters came along, it just ruined everything, in my opinion.

I also don't play any current generation games, I prefer playing 8/16 bit consoles, especially the Genesis.
Eddiespruce
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 pm

You still didn't explain how.

*anticipates a thread split*
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Eddiespruce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Well, all I can say is that I don't enjoy first person shooters, and I never did. I can play 3rd person games every now and then, but that's about it. I don't like American games, I mostly only play Japanese games. Japan doesn't like first person shooters either. Plus, first person shooters give me headaches and motion sickness for some reason, whereas other games don't. I will admit I played Wolfenstein 3D and Doom back in the day, and they were a bit exciting the first time I played them, but they got old fast, and there really doesn't seem to be any variety in first person shooters.

That's just my choice in games, we can't all agree on everything.
Eddiespruce
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 pm

That still doesn't begin to explain why you think they "killed" video games.
BenoitRen

Postby Eddiespruce » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, before first person shooters became popular, I found that there was a bigger choice of great games. I would never purchase an Xbox or Xbox 360 due to the large amount of first person shooters on them. As a matter of fact, I'd say at least 40% of Xbox 360 games are first person shooters, and the small number of RPGs for it are American made, and I only play JRPGs. I don't know how else to explain how they killed video games, only that their existence diminishes the number of RPGs, and other games that I prefer.

Every time I talk to a friend, they're either playing some first person shooter, or an Amercian made RPG, and I can't stand those games, so I guess you could say they killed video games for me. If someone else wants to play them, it's fine, but I never will, they're just not my idea of fun.
Eddiespruce
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 am

Thank you for your response.

There are JRPGs on the Xbox 360, though. Here's a list:
  • Blue Dragon (exclusive)
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Infinite Undiscovery (exclusive)
  • Lost Odyssey (exclusive)
  • Magna Carta 2 (exclusive)
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope
  • Tales of Vesperia (English language exclusive)
BenoitRen

Postby Mono » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Deus Ex is one of the top 3 games I have ever played or seen, and I'm not here for so many years because I'm a FPS hardcore fan :^P
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

Uh...

Postby Zucca » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Adobe should not exist. Even if it means that Photoshop could not exist.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:56 am

BenoitRen wrote:That still doesn't begin to explain why you think they "killed" video games.

I wouldn't say they killed video games, but.

Let me put it this way and I think that's what Eddiespruce meant, every since they came along they became extremely popular, more and more companies tried they're hands at making them, thus diverting more attention from other genres. Gotta follow the market and make money at it. Personally I don't care anymore, I mean I've liked old generation FPS's and even though they're old they still have they're charm, I just don't like the genre. I think online play killed RPG's, don't get me wrong now and this is only my opinion but only when it comes to applying the function to old school RPG's it takes from everything until the game is left bared down to the minimums in personality, story, characters, etc, Lets get together and kill monsters in a dungeon for 10 hours strait, just to get more equipment and level up to the highest point the character is ok is fine but when the game is just that and then nothing... Not my thing, I need more meat on the bone. I don't care if you're a fan of them or not, that's your choices, I'm saying that I think it killed RPG's (For the most part) as we knew them and that bugs me.
I'm an old fart though I play old school 2d games for the most part and ever since they disappeared to 3D, lets just say that part of my died in that era.
Happy to see that they are making some kind of a comeback in the APS department.

Yeah, that's right
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I'll tell you what I think 'killed' video games.

High Definition.

Suddenly video games cost a fortune to make. Budgets sky-rocketed. With budgets as big as those, it's better to not take risks. So what did developers do? Start copying what sells and remaking it over and over. That turned out to be Halo 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. There's little room for creative endeavours. But gamers seem to keep loving them regardless.

Old-school 2D gaming didn't die. It just moved to portable consoles for the most part. If you want a great old-school experience, you should take a look at the Etrian Odyssey series for the DS, though it does use 3D for its dungeon crawling.
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:40 am

BenoitRen wrote:...you should take a look at the Etrian Odyssey series for the DS, though it does use 3D for its dungeon crawling.
So did PSI. ;)

But yeah.
I think highdef is bad for some games where there is no need for extra sharp graphics. For 3D shooters it is good. But for turn based RPGs'... Not so much.
Again my examples are roguelike games. ;)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Edge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Gameboy Advance, and PSP enable a lot of NEW MODERN DAY Old School Style of play games. I must be honest, shortly after beating PS4 I got a Doom II addiction for like a year... Fallout 3 is God... But when I miss the old days, PSP GBA FTW! As far as things that shouldn't exist... ANY FREE POKER SITE (Namely Zynga from facebook)... PEOPLE DON'T PLAY POKER, they play slots, all in, every hand, why do I still get mad when I lose to bs??
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to General Discussion