The term "Esper"

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

The term "Esper"

Postby Lucid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:56 pm

I only knew of it from RPG's, first, notably of course from PS... then later in Final Fantasy. I'd never heard the term used anywhere else, until the other night. I was watching an episode of Star Trek, the original series called "Where No Man Has Gone Before" The term didn't just pop up once or twice. The entire episode was based on the ability, and depicted what could happen if these powers fell into the hands of people that were still infants in terms of emotional development. Pretty interesting episode.

So then I decided to look into the entomology of the term. I believe I recall seeing it went back to the early 50's, maybe even 1950, though I don't recall where. That's a mission you can choose to go on yourself, if this interests you. Just thought I would share.
I will make sure that my brother died not in vain!
Lucid
Locusta
Locusta

Re: The term "Esper"

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Yeah, the proper term is "ESPer", which means a person with extrasensory perception. It's also used to refer to a person possessing a psychic ability, which in this case would be magic.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Re: The term "Esper"

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm

The correct word you were trying to use is etymology. Entomology refers to the biologic branch of the study of insects.

It can be easy to mix them up, though.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Return to General Discussion