Page 1 of 2

New Strategy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:38 am
by zoothe
I was just wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on La Pucelle Tactics for PS2. It looks cool, but I dunno yet. I've been wanting a new strategy game for a while but haven't found anything with a theme I like since Warcraft III and Dragon Force before that.<p>Also, would anyone choose Disgaea over La Pucelle?

New Strategy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:42 am
by Siren
I took a look at La Pucelle Tactics, and if you're in dire need of a tactics game, I would go for it. It looks great. It's story focuses on the Demon Hunters instead of the Demons in Disgaea, and it looks like one of those rare games where you learn to love your characters. I hear it's kind of funny too...<p>As for your last question, I have no idea. I haven't played either; I only know a little bit about La Pucelle and Disgaea.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:41 pm
by Benoit
PSO: Episode III on GameCube.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:52 pm
by zoothe
I can't get into PSO3. There is very little sense of purpose in the objectives for me. I liked it for all of 2 hours and then it just got boring.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:01 am
by OnnaWren
Perhaps the gameplay (of PSO III) gets tedious after a while, but it's the story that winds up bolstering it and makes it ultimately worthwhile.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:22 am
by Demon Child
I dont know anything about the games you listed but Samurai Warriors is a pretty good Strategy/Hack&Slash game. <br>It should keep you busy for at least a couple of weeks. You start with 5 playable characters, each has their own story which usually splits at a certain area. When you beat the game with a character you may unlock new characters.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:42 am
by zoothe
I'm going to look Samurai Warrior up and check it out. In the mean time, I'm going to get La Pucelle Tactics.<p>While we're on the subject of strategy games. Why don't we list out favorites?<p>I have two all time favorites:<br>1. Master of Monsters (Genesis)<br>2. Dark Wizard (Sega CD)<p>I loved all the Shining Force games, and Dragon Force, but the two games above were just so awesome! MoM was really cool because you could play up to four players and your summoned warriors/beasts could be leveled up into cooler versions of themselves. Dark Wizard had four great story lines that were all intertwined (kind of like an early Dragon Force).

New Strategy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:16 am
by Demon Child
Favorite Strategy game eh? Id say Final Fantasy Tactics. Two reasons<br>1.Its the only true strategy game ive played<br>2.It took more than the usual 1 week to 1 month to beat. Out of my 30+ games it is one of 3 that took more than that to beat.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:57 am
by zoothe
Well it seems that Disgaea is quite popular. I was trying to find it on eBay, but it was going for well above MSRP. Some are selling it for $70+! Then I went to the Atlus website and guess what? They're re-releasing the game due to high demand. Maybe I should just get that, eh? Also, I read that a sequel called Phantom Brave is set for an August release.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:02 am
by zoothe
So I picked up a copy of Disgaea today and have to say that it is a lot of fun! I was kinda expecting a sub par experience but have really enjoyed it so far. La Pucelle is definitely next! I also got the GBA Shining Force Remake but haven't played it yet.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:34 pm
by Lord Khyron
The shining force remake is cool.. But all the liberties they took and rewriting and the Extra chapter stuff makes it seem more like a complete overhaul than a remake.<p>I mean nothing is similar to the original in dialogue at all. It's all been overhauled, Graphics, battle animations, Even basic story changed. <p>The difficulty has also been dumbed down to where it's too easy. Unless for Narshe's scenes and then you have to think what spell does she have.<p>All in all I am enjoying it, But it is a different game in it's entirety.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:53 pm
by PSLassic
Are you looking for real-time or turn based games?

New Strategy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:07 pm
by Tekno-Crystal
My two all time favourite strategy games:<p>1. Master of Orion II&III -Space strategy game with awseme interfaces and very detailed.<br>2. Shining Force 1&2 -I think we all know about those.<p>Ok, so that kinda like four games, but oh well, they're all good.

New Strategy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:24 pm
by zoothe
I like turn based stratedy games more. Disgaea has abrubtly begun consuming all of my spare time! I got it last night and I already have 10 hours on it!<p>As for all time great Strategy games:<br>1. Master of Monsters for Genesis (was the 1st one I ever played, and my friends and I still play it now some 10+ years later)<br>2. Dark Wizard (like MoM but witha better story)<br>3. Shining Force (of course)

New Strategy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:44 pm
by Tekno-Crystal
I'd suggest you try Master of Orion II or III, two is completely turn based, but three is turn based when controlling colonies and such, but real time in combat, very unique.