Page 1 of 3

Ohmigosh! Another new guy thread!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:25 pm
by Xander
Hello everyone. Glad to have registered at last. :) As you may have figured out already, i'm Xander.

And much like a lot of you here i'm a long time fan of the PS series, even though I only ever played the first 4 games and owe the introduction to the series by my sister way back in 1991 when I was still a wee lad. :P I even still have the old master system cartridge and manual.

Anyways, i'm looking forward to getting to know you lot in time, which might not be long considering how many seem to be active according to the members list. lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 pm
by BenoitRen
Ohmigosh guy, is that you? :shock:

Just kidding. Welcome to the board! New guy stocks the fridge.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:23 pm
by Xander
Yeah I was playing PS2 a of couple days ago and saw that line pop up. Understatement or what? I'd be heading for the hills if it were me. :wink: Come to think of it, that might make a funny avatar...


Anyhoo, stocking the fridge eh? Ok then, i'll throw in a case of fosters, a few bottles of budweiser and just for the younger ones (or those like me who don't drink alcohol all that much) I'll throw in some coke, Dr. Pepper and sprite for you too.....and a couple of bratwurst and some nachos purely because they're yummy! :P And while we're here, how about some dried ice for that smoking effect when you open the door?

Well that's that then. Thanks for the welcome BenoitRen. I suppose I best start snooping around for stuff to post in. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:48 am
by Wing-0
Sup, dude.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:19 pm
by Daren
Welcome to the board man but you're not the only new guy here cause compared to a lot of people here I'm also pretty new ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:39 pm
by Xander
lol. I dunno, october 2009 seems pretty far past now. It's almost june already! :o Time seems to be going so fast lately. That might explain all the extra grey hair i've been getting on my head. :p

By the way, while i'm at it, does anyone else here still have their old MSX consoles and such? I'm surprised mine still works as well as it did when I got it years ago, my mega drive didn't last quite so long. The joypads went bust after a couple of years.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:15 pm
by Daren
Xander wrote:lol. I dunno, october 2009 seems pretty far past now. It's almost june already! :o Time seems to be going so fast lately. That might explain all the extra grey hair i've been getting on my head. :p

By the way, while i'm at it, does anyone else here still have their old MSX consoles and such? I'm surprised mine still works as well as it did when I got it years ago, my mega drive didn't last quite so long. The joypads went bust after a couple of years.


Back then things were built to last, remember the old NES? That thing could fall down the stairs (and it did) and still work perfectly. Just drop your PS3 down the stairs today.......

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:32 pm
by Xander
Yeah I can imagine what would happen. That, and the cost of getting it fixed or replaced would be enough to make me handle with kids gloves.

I never had a NES, but the only damage my MSX got was a chip on the cartridge slot cover. A bit of superglue and it's been stuck on there for 19 years without coming off during repeated use and being bundled into boxes a few times as well. Still works fine too.
But considering consoles are just the same bunch of electronics and stuff, you'd wonder how they became so fragile. I know that anything that runs on discs and such is a bit more delicate than the MSX etc, but it can't take too much to make the case a little sturdier and rugged to protect what's inside. I bet a PS3 would make a good clay pigeon though. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm
by BenoitRen
I still have my Master System and my Mega Drive, and they both work perfectly.

The controllers... Well, the D-pad of the Master System pad got busted many years ago. You need to push extra hard to get the right (opposite of left) direction registered. I've got an infra-red pad in the form of a Mega Drive pad to use instead, but it lacks detection of the two buttons being used at the same time. So when I needed to use a ninjitsu spell in Shinobi, I'd plug in the original pad for a moment.

My Mega Drive pads still work great, but the first pad's A button is showing signs of wear.

Nintendo's more recent consoles are also sturdy!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:41 pm
by Zucca
I sold my Master System ages ago. But my Mega Drive is still in shape.
I tear up some old remote controllers in hopes to get spare parts for my MD pads. Most of them work flawlessy.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:08 pm
by Xander
Well it's not as if they're terribly sophisticated things. Just a few buttons and suchlike. I can't see it being too hard to do. I think the problem with my mega drive pads were the diagonal direction buttons. They either took a hard push to work or didn't at all. It certainly made for some frustrating moments.


By the way, just out of curiosity, is there somewhere where I can go check up on the various names of PS characters? I mean, because some games have them different dependant on region. Or did it only ever go as far as Noah being Lutz and Lassic being called Lashiec and I'm just being dumb? :P

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:48 pm
by BenoitRen
Yes, there is. It's the Translation page under the Other section.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:09 pm
by Xander
Ah thanks for that. Looks like I still have some browsing to do on the site then. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:38 am
by Semix
Hey hey welcome! As already mentioned, please keep the fridge stocked :)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:00 am
by Wing-0
Just remember not to give alcohol to Semix.... He will go berserk and eat us all...