Forum Etiquette - looking for opinions

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Postby meteor9 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 am

That's the one thing that always gets me, the "we're not in school, we don't have to" whining. This leaves you thinking "Er. if they're teaching it in school, maybe there's a farking REASON for it, moron?"

But, usually when people ignore proper spelling and grammar it just gives me license to make fun of them like it was going out of style, so, I guess I'm on the fence on this one? :?
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:58 am
Location: New South Wales

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 am

That animated GIF has a typo at the beginning. :P

"Dont you get it?" -> "Don't you get it?"
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
User avatar
BenoitRen
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3120
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby Etra McGarl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:24 am

BenoitRen wrote:That animated GIF has a typo at the beginning. :P

"Dont you get it?" -> "Don't you get it?"


It has already been settled Benoit, I can never outlive the typo's and their plague against me.

It's destiny, sadly.
Typos are my mortal enemy, they should be your's also.
ImageBy PSlogo
User avatar
Etra McGarl
Pinchant
Pinchant
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:00 am
Location: Here

Postby Danny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:12 pm

Amazing, a fourm filled with intelligent members who like good grammer! I'm also a member at another fourm which sadly uses bad grammer. I was pretty much the only person posting correctly there and it seemed to attract bad blood towards me for some reason.

I agree with what is being said here. This "web slang" seems to be getting worse and worse. I know for a fact that most people at my school and work also use it a lot too. Even the managers! I'm really glad I sighed up here! I should have done so sooner.

Editing posts for grammer corrections is a good idea. I just don't know why most people aren't very fond of it. Instead they double post and spam non-stop. Heh, its good to see you all think so too. I missed talking to other intelligent people. I haven't done so in a while. Its a good feeling.
User avatar
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:09 am

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:49 am

grammer

Oh, the irony! :P
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
User avatar
BenoitRen
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3120
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:21 am

BenoitRen wrote:
grammer

Oh, the irony! :P


Haha, you probably won't believe it but I lost some marks on an English exam because of the same mistake. Grammar not grammer. Why do I always make that mistake? However what I meant was those who intentionally use bad grammar. Example: Wht r u doing today?

Spelling mistakes are hard to avoid. Especially when typing since your hand can slip without you noticing. It can get pretty annoying sometimes. When your serious it makes you look bad to type "thta" instead of "that" by mistake. Hopefully you can edit it before anyone reads it.
User avatar
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:09 am

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:28 pm

I'm the Grammar Jesus.
User avatar
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol, England, UK

Postby H Hog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:40 pm

An admirable feat. Too bad there's so many Grammar Anti-Christs to counter that.

Eminems wrote:I have noticed that many people, whose first language isn't English, make more of an effort, or at least as much of an effort, to get things right.


Explains me, at least. I'm from the Netherlands, and people keep asking me if I was originally born in England or something.
Strong or weak, all that matters to me is whether or not you're flammable.
User avatar
H Hog
Locusta
Locusta
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:43 pm

Postby Eminems » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:18 pm

Heh. I'm Scottish, so most English-folks assume we can't speak English... (no offence to anyone here who's English, I know my accent isn't easy for a lot of folks to understand)

Incidentally, my Dutch friend is always pointing out my spelling mistakes! Which is why she makes such a good beta for my fanfiction. It just really annoys me when people don't make an effort to make themselves understood. Bad communication is what's going to probably get me sued within my first couple of years in practice (I'm training to be a vet).
Eminems
Locusta
Locusta
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby H Hog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:47 pm

Ooh, good luck with that.

You may have a point there though, the thing you said about people making more of an effort to correctly make themselves clear in foreign languages then they do their own.
I guess it's easier to make yourself clear in your own language where you know that if you say or spell something wrong, whoever hears or reads it is gonna understand it anyway.
When conversing with people in a foreign language, people generally don't have that certainty, or at least they're less quick to assume they do.

Then of course, there's the fact that people who took the effort to learn a second language besides their own are generally more studious in the first place. =P
Strong or weak, all that matters to me is whether or not you're flammable.
User avatar
H Hog
Locusta
Locusta
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:43 pm

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests