any good PS fan fics out there?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

any good PS fan fics out there?

Postby Dr_Odin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:03 am

I am in a Phantasy Star gaze atm. LOL.

Is there any good Phantasy Star fan fics anyone could advice me of? I have read Child of Darkness and absolutely adored it.
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby meteor9 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:04 am

.... <_<

.... >_>

....I hear Black Waltz 0 writes some pretty awesome stuff, which I heartily endorse and I was totally not put up to this with bribes or threats.

Okay, I'm biased, but I really wasn't put up to this. She's good! Real good! Just look sorta southward in this subforum and you'll find her thread.

<wink wink nudge nudge>

COME ON DO IT YOU KNOW YOU WANNA
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Amwhere » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:20 am

Black Waltz writes awesome stuff - well worth the read.
Amwhere
Locusta
Locusta

Postby skymandr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:54 pm

I always liked Joel Fagin's works. His site seems to be down (at the moment?), but it used to be here:

http://www.between-worlds.com/

Maxx' Phantas Star Pages has a very neat collection of fanfics. They have some of Joel's works. Darell Whitney is another very prolific (understatement) writer, who has produced some very nice pieces.

http://www.phantasy-star.net/fanfics/fiction.html
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Redeemer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Well, there is the large selection at the Phantasy Star Pages

My personal favorite there has been Child of Darkness under the Multi-Part Epics section by Terry Mathews, and as Dr. Odin said its pretty good.
Once I was Valis Warrior, and then the Redeemer. But now, I am back, with 7 years experience to my belt here.
Redeemer
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:36 pm

I also admit that Child of Darkness is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. It, like, totally got me started on fanfic writing in the first place.
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby Eminems » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:04 pm

skymandr wrote:I always liked Joel Fagin's works. His site seems to be down (at the moment?), but it used to be here:

http://www.between-worlds.com/

Maxx' Phantas Star Pages has a very neat collection of fanfics. They have some of Joel's works. Darell Whitney is another very prolific (understatement) writer, who has produced some very nice pieces.

If I remember rightly, you can also find Joel Fagin's stuff on fanfiction.net. But, I wouldn't go there unless you can't find it anywhere else.
Eminems
Locusta
Locusta

Postby skymandr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Between Worlds seems to be online again, so I guess there is no call for such measures... ^^
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Dorrinal » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Darrell Whitney is my favorite PS fan fiction writer. Check out his works at http://www.phantasy-star.net/fanfics/fiction.html in the "Featured Authors" section. If you like cyberpunk, go straight to his PSII stories.
Dorrinal
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dr_Odin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:57 am

i remember Darrell Whitney work, which one is recommended?
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby H-Man » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 pm

I remember reading Child of Darkness back in 2000. I was glued to the computer for the three days or so that I took me to read it. There are times when I really think that the story is actual PS canon. Heh.

There's a PSIV fan fiction that tells of Wren's last days a couple hundred years after the events of the game. Demi has just shut down and Wren is the only surviving member of the crew. Really touching piece of work. I just don't remember what it was called.
H-Man
Locusta
Locusta

Postby meteor9 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:18 pm

I was recommended Child of Darkness by a few people, but I can't understand why. By all rights, every single character is written way out of character, every plot point is either ludicrous or lifted from the worst of crossover excuses or both, and the whole thing goes a little bit crazy all the way through.

I guess I can see it being influential, and it's certainly big, but I'd be hard pressed to call it 'good'.
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby H-Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:06 pm

meteor9 wrote:I was recommended Child of Darkness by a few people, but I can't understand why. By all rights, every single character is written way out of character, every plot point is either ludicrous or lifted from the worst of crossover excuses or both, and the whole thing goes a little bit crazy all the way through.

I guess I can see it being influential, and it's certainly big, but I'd be hard pressed to call it 'good'.

Well, it was my first fan fiction, so I suppose it carries some sentimental value. It does go a bit crazy at times, especially when it tries to incorporate characters from PSIII into the plot. I also had a hard time believing that Demi and Rika couldn't hold their own in a bar fight (or something to that effect). Those qualms aside, I never stopped wanting to know what would happen next and how the conflict would be resolved in the end.
H-Man
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tanith » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 am

Dr_Odin wrote:i remember Darrell Whitney work, which one is recommended?

Um, all of them? Sorry, I know this is an old post, but since the thread's been resurrected I thought I'd comment. His ff.net pen name is "Dezo Penguin" and he has quite a nice collection of PS fanfic over there. He recently retooled his PSIII fics and organized them into collections based on the different generations. He's also a big fan of Alys and writes her really well. Of course, he has quite a few stories over at Hugues's site and ps-net, but just wanted to point out that if anyone is interested in his PSIII fic that ff.net would be the best place to read it due to aforementioned rewriting and reorganization.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Fan stuff