PSIV: Beneath a New Light. (I'M BACK...with a bang!)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

PSIV: Beneath a New Light. (I'M BACK...with a bang!)

Postby lyla2284 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:38 am

Hello all. I'm a fellow Phan and I thought I'd share a project that I've been working on for the last 12 months. It's a reworked version of PSIV,yet with a twist. Alys is the main character in here,and the storyline shifts from Chaz's POV to Alys'.As you can imagine,there are several changes in the storyline,but I'm not giving anything away yet. :) The game is being made in RPGMaker XP.

Screenshots:

Zoomed out Motavia overworld.

Features:
-Unique Overdrive skills for every character.
-Promotions for certain chars, resulting in better stats and abilities.
-FFXII-like bazaar system to obtain rare items, weapons and armour.
-Harder difficulty.
-Alys has melee weapon specialty as well as multi-hit capabilies.
-High quality 3-d like hero battler sprites, similar to PS: Generation 2. (Still in development)
-Smoother renders of the original PS4's monster battlers. ( Thanks to Zucca. I never got to thank him properly :D )
-Fully animated menus.
-Reworked cutscenes.

That's all for now.I look forward to feedback.
Ciao!

DEMO finally avaliable! 28 Feb 2010
http://www.mediafire.com/?mjzx1i5mied
115 mb

User guide
http://www.mediafire.com/?tqzlygmvz22

Font download:
http://www.dafont.com/forgotten-futurist.font
Last edited by lyla2284 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Nice to have you back. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby rodrigo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:25 pm

as always great job and welcome back
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby lyla2284 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:39 am

Yes, it is nice to be back. :) The project has undergone some major changes during my absence, and a playable demo is still far off. I have to thoroughly playtest the 5 or so hour demo before I upload it anywhere.

I've added a new feature called skill exhaustion during battle. This means that after a character executes a skill with the letters SE in brackets, they will be unable to act after a set amount of turns during that battle, depending on the power of the skill. This prevents players from spamming out powerful attacks.

The DEX stat now influences base Defense, instead of the AGI stat.
Defending in battle takes top priority, now matter how slow the character is. It also halves all damage cast by techs or by taking physical defense.
Character are now longer 'ordered', it is set by their class. Alys, Chaz, Gryz and Wren in front, Rika and Hahn in the middle, and Rune at the rear.
Enemies have better AI, and casting defensive techs will be their top priority at the beginning of every battle. Likewise, mechas will do the same.

Screens:

Tech/skill window.

All the towns have recieved a serious makeover. This is a section of Aiedo.

Equip window.

Item window. Items are limited to 20 per individual item, instead of 99.
Don't mind the Antidote count of 24. I added the limitation after taking this screenshot.

Zoomed out maps:

Krup

Mile

Nalya

Zema

Well, that was an update and a half! :D I hope you guys will have as much fun as I did when making this game.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby lyla2284 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Yep, I should've never come back. I have a feeling that certain members here hate me... Don't know why though.

Anyway...

Quick little update:

-Worked on a couple of maps, and they look a bit better now. I'm not great at my mapping, but I'm getting there...
-Soundtrack has recieved a serious overhaul. Now featuring music from both PSII and PSIII. Added some hardcore battle music, eliminated the default PS4 battle tune. Added PS2's Victory tune. (for the Victory music, of course) :D
-Added a lighting script, for more aesthetically appealing maps with darker areas.
-One cutscene has been eliminated entirely.
-Game size is just under 120mb. Not too bad for a five-hour long demo. :)

(Don't you just love this scene? And yes, they do kiss... :D ) My best screenie so far.

Down in the Tonoe basement.

Town icons have been reworked.

Due for release in early March or late Feb... possibly.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 pm

120 MB is actually a lot, especially for a demo. Are you saving all the images in the BMP format, or something?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Edge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 pm

If people hate you, screw em!! Who cares!? You'll more than likely never meet these people... YOUR GAME LOOKS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very critical too, so you'll probably not like me once I get my hands on this, I'm already eyeballing the fact you use accessories... But, damn... It looks so good! Nice ideas too, exhausting your skills and that... I always felt Phantasy Star IV needed to be more challenging... I hope your remake is. Either way, what you've done with it, considering the fact it's being made with RMXP is nothing short from impressive as hell. I'll be one of the first people to try your demo whenever you get it ready and uploaded. I can't compliment you too much, due to only seeing screenshots, but from what you have showed us, I have seriously high hopes.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm

BenoitRen wrote:120 MB is actually a lot, especially for a demo. Are you saving all the images in the BMP format, or something?

Nah, everything is saved in PNG format. It's actually the Audio folder that is so large (65.5mb, I only used OGGs and MP3s), along with the Graphics folder (47mb) that actually makes the game size so big.

And Edge, thank you for your comment. Believe me, the game plays as well as it looks and is as hard as hell, except for the Piata basement, owing to the fact that poor Hahn only starts off at LVL 1). :D
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby meteor9 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm

I have to assume that large chunks of dialogue weren't taken from my LP this time?
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby lyla2284 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:58 am

meteor9 wrote:I have to assume that large chunks of dialogue weren't taken from my LP this time?

Oh no, not at all this time, meteor. I've actually eliminated all of them, though you did inspire me to add my own witty one liners coming from Alys. Adds a bit of humour to the game, you know.

What I did was wrong, and I just want to apologize. I know it's a bit late,
but there you go. :)

Anyway, some more screens.

One of the few town maps that have been completely reworked. Tonoe is actually located in a lush valley in here.

Rune's flaeil demonstration. I just have to eliminate that boulder... :D
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 am

lyla2284 wrote:
BenoitRen wrote:120 MB is actually a lot, especially for a demo. Are you saving all the images in the BMP format, or something?

Nah, everything is saved in PNG format.
You can try to compress png's further with png compressor. I use optipng. It does not reduce the quality, it only finds the best way to compress them.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby lyla2284 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:12 am

Edge wrote:If people hate you, screw em!! Who cares!? You'll more than likely never meet these people... YOUR GAME LOOKS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very critical too, so you'll probably not like me once I get my hands on this, I'm already eyeballing the fact you use accessories... But, damn... It looks so good! Nice ideas too, exhausting your skills and that... I always felt Phantasy Star IV needed to be more challenging... I hope your remake is. Either way, what you've done with it, considering the fact it's being made with RMXP is nothing short from impressive as hell. I'll be one of the first people to try your demo whenever you get it ready and uploaded. I can't compliment you too much, due to only seeing screenshots, but from what you have showed us, I have seriously high hopes.

The game plays as well as it looks, Edge, and it is rather challenging. Not as hard as PSII, but still, I wanted to strike the right balance between a fun and a challenging game.

Now, from what I hear, you are rather well versed with the RPGMaker series, right? If so, are you well aquainted with RGSS? Because I seem to be in need of some help relating to the battle system. I want to make the battle command windows look like the original game's. You know, where skills, techs and such are indicated by icons, and all fold up into once nice compact system. If not, then I'll have to continue my fruitless search... :(

You can send me a PM if you can help in any way. You will obviously be credited for you help.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:35 am

An I have sent you a pm ^_^
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby aceina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:28 am

hi im looking forword to this project but i have toa sk it looks like ure only givign 4 chars to a party insteed of the 5 we get in PS4 y is that?

i know for a fact that u can make 5 in a battle some how ive seen it done in rpg maker

o also any chance u can give a bit of alys yuri fan service nothign major jsut a odd postion that comes from some 1 tripign or walking in on some 1 or something or something (yuri is girl x girl if u didntknow i fan girl i have to ask)

o also u need to find a way to make the file smaller i have dial up it woudl take me over a day to DL its curent size

also dont up the diffaculty pls ive seen a lot of rpgmaker gmaes become to hard so just keep it at PS4s diffaculty and im sure it will turn out harder any ways

and finally keep alys with her stander slashes just make them stronger and for the sowrds u need in the story (magic sowrds and what not cant rember how many there are it sbeen years since i play PS4) u coudl adda black smith who reforges them into a slasher
aceina
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Edge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:42 am

Wow, you must be the project manager with THAT many requests!

Edit: I'm being funny, don't hate me... yet :evil:
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Next

Return to Fan stuff