Phantasy Star III: ????? Rom Hack

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star III: ????? Rom Hack

Postby Edge » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 pm

I dunno what to name my rom hack... It's not really an improvement... It's not really a remake... Here's what it is, and what's up with this post...

What it is:

I fixed the shops for starters... I hated how the shops sell all this random stuff in random locations that make no sense what so ever... In fact it pissed me off greatly, because I'm such a nerd, I will build up to buy that 20,000$ Royal Needle in Generation 1 and pwn the rest of the game np!

I also made it more challenging by not enabling a lot of equipment early game...

I renamed and redid who equips what to be more "Phantasy Star" like... Also to make sense, because... Who the hell is going to wear a cape or a robe made out of steel? You might as well wear armor... AND HOW IS A BOW MADE OUT OF LASERS!? So... Yeah, I renamed stuff to be more suiting to the other 3 games as opposed to just this one...

While you CAN marry Maia, it's heavily ill advised... This hack is made for Nial's generation specifically, because EVERYONE marries Maia... Explore the other part of the game, you haters >:

Enemies give dbl EXP and MST, enemies who gave 1 an 1 now make more sense, bosses give EXP and MST, and various bosses... Well, every boss outside of Lyle has been made stronger to give more of a challenge.

Draconia which is not even touched in Nial's quest, or the third generation has became a "Challenge World"... Filled with horrible monsters stronger than bosses (outside of dark force) who give WONDERFUL EXP and MST, and also find the Nei Equipment that was never given to you in PS3... I always felt if I'm wearin a Nei Sword, I should have a Nei Helmet, Armor, and Boot as well...

What this post is for: I got Chinelle beta testing this... She knows nothing about Phantasy Star games, but she is a huge RPG Game lover, so she's a good candidate... I need to make sure bosses are not TOO hard, and the lack of equipment doesn't make it too hard... I could use one more beta tester if someone is actually interested in beating this old gem again, but... If not, you can sit still and once Chinelle finishes the game, I'll do up the official name for it, and give her credit, and release it.

Obviously this rom hack has been done with Aridia. If anyone feels there is anything I can change before officially releasing it, give me your opinions... Only thing I can do outside of Aridia's capabilities would be hex editing story, script (which aridia has most of anyway) and names. (And names would still need to be 4 characters long...)
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rodrigo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:27 am

Change the script. Then I would play it.
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:38 pm

You mean change the entire story?? I don't think that's a very good idea... :/

Or make it more understandable?? I don't get exactly what you're saying.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rodrigo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 pm

more understandable and more differences between generations
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:03 am

Well, as mentioned before this rom hack removes Ayn, Crys,and Sean from the picture... I'll try to make it more understandable :/

I always understood it okay, but I'll look over it all again and see if there's anything really unclear.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:23 am

Add script that includes a compelling reason to marry Lena. :P

I've played both 2nd generation paths and all 3rd generation paths many times, and no matter how rational, history-wise, it is to marry someone of your own background (especially because those that have read the JP script know that Lena is mentioned as Rhys's former betrothed), it makes almost zero sense to go on an epic quest to retrieve Maia only to turn around and go, "Ohp, sorry everyone. Gonna head back to Landen with Lena now!" Especially since Lena aids Rhys in finding Maia! She gives him her blessing twice.

So anyway, perhaps by adventuring with Lena the two fall in love and Rhys snaps out of his lustful stupor over Maia (because let's face it: between Lena and Maia, Lena might walk away as Miss Congeniality, but she ain't winnin' the pageant). Or maybe Rhys couldn't keep the family jewels locked away and got Lena pregnant and... well... soap opera stuff. Maybe Lena is adventuring with Rhys only because she's looking for good blackmail material to force him into marriage later. I've always thought Lena was a sneaky one...
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rodrigo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:04 am

other things

How Maia and Lyle get to the Landen dome?

Why only Maia gets amnesia?

Why Lena helps Rhys to escape the prison to save another girl?

How did Rhys father agree to his marriage in the first place?

If Lyle is the dragon that kidnaps Maia why does he help Rhys?

Does Rulakir have anything to do with the events of the early generations?
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby meteor9 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:43 am

Tanith wrote:Lena Stuff

Alright, here's my thinking.

Lena loves Rhys. Beyond them being arrange-married, that is. But she's not petty either so she just wants him to be happy, and since he seems to be in love with this Maia chick then, by god, she's going to help him.

So, by the end, Rhys finds Maia again. Only she's home now and remembers her old life. So, faced with a somewhat different person (and not an amnesiac who's lost and dependant on him) it provides him with an opportunity to assess things. Does he go with the woman he hardly knows, but does honestly have good (albeit recent) memories with? Or does he go with someone he's known his whole life who's just proven how much she's willing to do for him, asking nothing in return?

Each choice is valid in this case, so nobody's getting screwed over. Oh, right, and Maia doesn't stand to lose everything since she's back home to presumably whatever relationships she may have been in before.
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Lyle travelled to Aridia through the passage reachable through the Orakian fortresses' ruins. In Hazatak he stole the Twins' Ruby that unlocks the cave that leads to Landen.

You can deduce this and more by reading the Japanese script.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:43 am

I don't think a rom hack enables me to "ADD" script, but you know what... I'll do my very best to edit it to match this stuff... Maybe Rhys just hates Layans and once learning Maia really is a Layan, he's like "SCREW THAT WITCH!!"

As far as those questions, they are all answered in the American version without needing to read the Japanese script...

Why only Maia gets amnesia?

How Maia did wasn't really answered, but I assume Lyle set that up, since he set everything into action, as he said he had in Ayns' quest...

Lyle however, aside from what Ben said... Happens to have the Sapphire, which could go from Aquatica to Landen, and if you're wondering how he got pass the frozen lake, he's a dragon... He flies.

Cause he's the fricken' Prince, and she truly loves him... Her loyalty is quite admirable.

He didn't have a problem with Rhys marrying her, in the intro he is okay with everything (despite he doesn't know she's a filthy Layan...) However, his PROBLEM was Rhys starting a war with another country over her... THAT he was not okay with... Which is reasonable.

He kidnapped her BECAUSE he needed Rhys' help... He was never intending to be the bad guy... His motives were to have Rhys join HIM from the start... He just happens to end up joining Rhys for the same purpose.

I believe the entire sky city is in sleep mode until Dark Force is unsealed. He waited a thousand years for the return of Dark Force, anyway, in the American version... Two thousand I supposed in the JAP.

EDIT: You can meet Rulakir before pulling Orakio's Sword, he's a really nice guy... It's that whole dark wave deal that Zio dealt with that seems to make Rulakir such a prick.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:28 am

You know what... Changing the script was a fine idea... I really like and enjoy where this is going with my rom patch... On that note, any more scripting ideas on like, why he'd marry Lena instead, etc... PLEASE hit me with it... I'm doing pretty damn good here off that little bit of suggestion. More suggestions, God only knows what I'll come up with!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:27 am

meteor9 wrote:Very reasonable explanations.

Those all work perfectly from a story perspective. I have considered most of those points you raise, but I think the biggest issue for me is more a personal one: Rhys is one lame-ola hero. Now, I realize that's mostly unfair, since PSIII suffers from early RPGitis of being fairly bare-bones in its script. He could have been the coolest dude in Landen, but the information we're given is that he wants to marry an amnesiac within two months of meeting her for the first time. That's it. So in my own girly way, I'm sure I inserted my own thoughts and feelings on Lena while playing the game, wondering why in the world she was following this lovesick doofus around.

Especially when the much cooler, seemingly single Lyle is right there. Sorry, but Lyle is about 1,000,000 times more awesome than Rhys. The ladies should have been pushing themselves over to get with him, not Rhys.

I'm just rambling here now. The first generation is my least favorite part of the game. Lyle plays Rhys like a fiddle, no one is honest with anyone, Lena should have ditched Rhys, and the poor 'bots were stuck in the middle of all of it. It's actually kind of aggravating to play.
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:41 am

rofl, I guess I can't argue there, but... Everyone loves Nei and Rolf who never said hardly anything at all on either side. I don't even know what type of person Nei was other than persistent.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:56 am

Oh yeah, I mean, PSII is super-bare-bones.

I guess the difference for me is that Nei can at least garner sympathy because she's "hated for who she is" (I think that's what the script says), and Rolf scores points for taking her in as a little sister when she was getting kicked around by an angry mob. Also, Rolf's adventure starts out as an important investigation, and every time he completes the next part of his mission, the shit gets deeper for him. At no point does he get the girl or become king. So Rolf, though he has little script, has a better hero story. Nei does as well. Things never get better for her, either, through no fault of her own.

Rhys is decent with a sword, but otherwise all of the great things he accomplished on his quest were actually done through his androids or special gems. I think if the game developers wanted to build a better Rhys, they should have made him less of a tool for Lyle.
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 am

This sounds very interesting, Edge. I may give this a shot once it's done. Finally, we'll be able to understand more of PS3's general storyline. It was lost on me when I played it all those years ago.

And Tan, I agree with you in the fact that the ladies should have been falling over themselves to get Lyle. He's in one word, awesome. Rhys has nothing on this dude. ^^
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Fan stuff