Fan Fiction - where to find it?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Fan Fiction - where to find it?

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Is fanfiction.net the only place to currently find (newer) PS fanfic? I know that the PSPages haven't been updated in ages.

I've never really been a fan of ff.net - 1) I admittedly don't have a lot of experience with it, and 2) it always seemed like one has to wade through a lot of crap to get to the good stories. I haven't checked it out in a while, though, so maybe that's changed.

Any chance of getting fan fiction hosted here at the PS Cave? There's fan art, etc., so why not? 8)
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:19 pm

I agree... in FF.net, to my experience, I've had the displeasure of swimming through a cesspool of grammar errors and retellings that were so bad they made me want to hurl...

The Cave's fanfiction section needs an expansion.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:26 pm

I've had the question (of a fan fiction section) from someone else recently as well. The reason it hasn't so far is because The PS Pages was the reference for many years. But now it seems to be dead.

Hey, Missagh! How about it? :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Black Sword » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Full disclosure: I've been bugging Benoit for a PS Cave fan fiction section for three weeks. 8)
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Tanith » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Augmented fourth? I prefer a diminished fifth myself.

/really bad music joke ;)

Anyhoo... Sure, ff.net could be better, and there's not really any way of knowing beforehand what fics are worth reading. However, it's pretty much the only place where new PS stories are being posted. I could give you some links to decent stories, if you'd rather not wade through them yourself.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Hey, if a lot of people are suggesting it, it MUST be a good idea! :wink:

I actually haven't written any fanfiction since high school (and good god, my 10 year reunion is coming up in less than two years), and I haven't written anything fun, period, since a personal essay in grad school. As I was lying awake last night, unable to sleep after suffering from a bad cold and playing PSIV all day, I came up with a few ideas. Depending on how quickly I write (which most likely won't be very quickly at all), I guess I can make a ff.net account to hold me over...
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:55 am

I think it should happen too.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 pm

fanfiction.net - it sucks. There are gems to be had if one is willing to sort through the collection of fics, but it can be time-consuming for those who like convenience. You're lucky to find a good author on there who knows their stuff.

BenoitRen wrote:I've had the question (of a fan fiction section) from someone else recently as well. The reason it hasn't so far is because The PS Pages was the reference for many years. But now it seems to be dead.
You gave me that excuse when I asked you about it sometime ago, and it was just as dead then as it is now. =P

I, for one, would love to see a fanfiction section on the PSCave, as since it's a site for the fans, it should have content for the fans, and not just artwork and other cosmetics.
Last edited by LegoMuskCat on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:06 pm

BenitoRen, you've got mail!

Well, moar like PM...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Missagh » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 pm

The past years, I have been sceptical to bringing fanfics to the Cave, mainly because of the extensive archive of the PS Pages. However, reading this thread and also recalling previous requests, it seems that we will need to open a fanfic section afterall! ;)

First we would need to have a great couple of submissions because we open it. To anyone that is interested in having their fanfic up here, please send Benoit your work!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Black Sword » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Three cheers for Missagh!
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Drake Reaver » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm gonna be making a Phantasy Star Fanfic here... >.> Er, that's kind of on topic. I think?
Chaos.... suits me just fine!
Drake Reaver
Locusta
Locusta

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:03 am

Yay! I actually started writing today and I'm almost done with the first chapter. I'll probably stay up too late tonight writing more. :P Will there be any guidelines (length requirements, content ratings, etc.)?
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Black Sword » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 am

Something similar to the Phantasy Star Pages guidelines would be best, I suspect.
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Tanith » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 am

I think it would be good if there were content ratings, even though all PSP says is "watch your language." Ratings would be better than being vague or having to censor our writing to an extreme.

Are we allowed to submit stuff we've posted at ff.net?
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Next

Return to Fan stuff