Fan Fiction - where to find it?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby carlsojos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

BenoitRen wrote:The Fan Fiction section is currently dominated by Black Sword. Any authors willing to challenge him? :)

I've already submitted one flash fiction to you, and I'm waiting on Tanith and an outsider to finish proofreading my first work, since it's about 66 times as big. A third person already finished reading it, with the words, "You should use fewer contractions, but I laughed my (explicit) off." I'm ambiguous to the feedback because he was drunk when I talked to him, but I'm eagerly waiting to see what happens next, since I want to start the next part.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:42 pm

BenoitRen wrote:The Fan Fiction section is currently dominated by Black Sword. Any authors willing to challenge him? :)
I'll offer more of my previous PSII works once I give them another perusal for errors and clean up the writing a bit. I was working on Amy's story the other day but lost all the work I had done on it to teh husband installing a new OS. *cries*
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Sword » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Tanith wrote:I'll offer more of my previous PSII works once I give them another perusal for errors and clean up the writing a bit. I was working on Amy's story the other day but lost all the work I had done on it to teh husband installing a new OS. *cries*

:shock: Did you inform "teh husband" he's lucky you didn't divorce him on the spot?
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Tanith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, it was my fault for leaving windows of work open without also leaving a note around as well. (i.e. "If you must use the computer, DO NOT KILL Word without saving.") Though, reasonably he could have saved my work for me; I just leave my work open like that because I'm the only one who uses the desktop, and spousal communication during the week is laughable due to the opposite schedules.
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I wonder why anyone would close a program and then tell it "Don't Save" (at first I wrote "Don't Dave", WTF?) when it was in use by someone else. It's so obvious that person will lose the modified data!

...Why would he install a new OS, anyway? Did someone convert him to a Linux distribution, or something?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby carlsojos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Tanith: Microsoft Word uses a temporary file to store data in a file, typically in the same folder as the file itself. This is a backup in case Word crashes or corrupts the file during a save, but it is deleted during a normal shutdown.

This is a 1 in 1000 shot, but run an "Undelete tool" on the hard drive, and see what it finds. The file will be the same format as the original, and will probably use a mutation of the original's filename.

It is important to note, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. Every write operation the computer makes has a chance of overwriting the deleted file. I reiterate that this is indeed a crap shoot, and I've never successfully restored a deleted file, but it's better than considering it gone without rescue efforts.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Black Sword wrote:
Tanith wrote:I'll offer more of my previous PSII works once I give them another perusal for errors and clean up the writing a bit. I was working on Amy's story the other day but lost all the work I had done on it to teh husband installing a new OS. *cries*

:shock: Did you inform "teh husband" he's lucky you didn't divorce him on the spot?

Maybe divorce would be a little extreme, but I think a quick punch to the kidneys or something would be warranted. I am now very, very glad that we have our own computers over here.
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby carlsojos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

augmentedfourth wrote:...but I think a quick punch to the kidneys or something would be warranted.

I'm in favor of using that cling wrap stuff to make an invisible wall in a doorway that he frequently goes through (extra points if you rig it in a way you can have him chase you through the door so he has extra speed when his face hits it). That, or maybe rigging the kitchen sink to spray him when he next turns it on. Or even covering a large roll of toilet paper (preferably the massive kind that they sometimes use in commercial areas) in cake frosting to offer him as a "sign of your forgiveness." I'm pretty childish when it comes to revenge, since I try to avoid causing permanent damage in these "lessons".
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:28 am

BenoitRen wrote:I wonder why anyone would close a program and then tell it "Don't Save" (at first I wrote "Don't Dave", WTF?) when it was in use by someone else. It's so obvious that person will lose the modified data!

...Why would he install a new OS, anyway? Did someone convert him to a Linux distribution, or something?
About not saving: he was under the assumption that no windows I had left open were of any importance, and he was getting a little agitated that every time he asked if the computer was ready for Windows 7, I kept telling him "not yet." (I am a procrastinator, yes indeedy.)

About the OS- He installed Windows 7 because Vista was ruining my life and causing our printers not to work, even after firmware updates and blah blah blah all that home networking stuff.

@BS- Couldn't find the old file, unfortunately. Not a big problem, though. I've already started the process of editing "Doctor, Doctor" over again, only this time I'm doing it in Google Docs.

@AF- For the most part my husband and I do have separate computers, as he's mostly claimed the laptop and I've mostly claimed the desktop. He was itching to get Windows 7 installed on the desktop so that our printers would be operable again.
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Bah, how can anyone make such an assumption? Anyway, going from Vista to 7 sounds like a good upgrade!
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

HOW YOU CAN HELP YOUR LOCAL FANFIC WRITERS!

Postby Black Sword » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:00 am

Hey guys! Bringing this thread back up because I had a fiendish idea for how we can get more hits and reads for our fanfiction efforts.

I'll be cursed to a deep level of hell by you lot for the hours you're about to lose due to wiki magic, but there is a website called TVTropes. Call it an informal wiki for tricks of the fiction trade. Now then, deep within the murky layers is a section known as fanfiction recommendations. Our beloved Phantasy Star series lack a recommendation page.

Here's where you come in! For obvious reasons, the fanficers like a4th, myself, and Tanith can't write the pages and recs. We'd be breaking the gentleman's agreement, and I don't want any of us blackballed. But you, faithful comrades, can write it! And if people like what they read enough, we can potentially grow larger!

So what do you guys say? Give PS (and us!) some love!
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Previous

Return to Fan stuff