Phantasy Star 2.5 Fallen Planet Improvements-Beta Released!

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star 2.5 Fallen Planet Improvements-Beta Releas

Postby LegoMuskCat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm

It is awesome that we're making progress, at least. :D
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby James Quinn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:44 pm

I played it for a couple hours last night and will finish it tonight, and will post my full thoughts afterward. However my current impression is extremely positive. =)
James Quinn
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Though I expect nothing that was actually BAD about this game to have been fixed here... I'd knock myself out and see the beta, if I can.
Shadowcaster
Locusta
Locusta

Postby James Quinn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Ive been super busy lately but wanted to post that I was able to successfully play the game through the good path without any issues. I love the music and think it captures the tone of the story and drama appropriately. I had a lot of fun playing this and look forward to creating my other walkthroughs once things settle down for me and I have some time. Great work guys!
James Quinn
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Missagh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Very well done guys! I look forward to playing it! Can Oresama, Dreamer and James Quinn confirm if we should put this version up for download at the PS Cave fan game section?

And Oresama, is there any chance that you can make a light version that doesn't use the large music files but still have the other improvements?

EDIT: The reason why I ask Oresama is because I am planning to add the light version on the PS Cave server and have the heavy version on an external download...
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Oresama » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:50 pm

You are welcome to add it to the fan game section, just please note that it's still a work in progress and feedback for further improvements is not only welcome but encouraged. It probably wouldn't hurt to update James' email address when modifying the entry anyway.

I've played through all 3 paths of the beta and found more typos I didn't save properly and fixed issues caused by some of my corrections (like a line of text being too long and having a letter or two cut off). Another known issues is that the music in boss fights isn't working properly and I'm trying to find out why, considering all I did was change the music file mapped in the original entry that did work. I'm waiting to see if people find other issues that need to be fixed. If they do, those will be addressed. If not after I get the boss music issue worked out I'm going to call those fixes 1.0, give people 2 more months after the 1.0 release to find anything else that could possibly need to be changed. If nothing else is brought up the 1.0 will be final release and then I'll see if I can get MP3s to work with a different MP3 hack of RM2K. The game crashed like Windows ME when I tried it initially. I'm not dealing with MP3-specific issues until everything else is finalized, and not bringing the MIDIs back. It's not like I'm making money on the Megaupload downloads. They don't pay out unless you buy a membership from them (which I'm not doing) and only downloads 100MB or under count toward payouts (downloading in 8 parts is a pain in the ass and I hate it when people do that, so I'm not doing that either).

If anyone has a face for Dark Force that works with RM2K I'll add that to Dark Force's dialog.

Come to think of it if you're going to put it on one of the main pages there will likely be more people getting into it and reporting issues I've fixed that are in the released beta, so I'll upload a new beta with the fixes I've made since the last release and post a link here when it's done. My upload speed is very slow so it'll probably be at least 10 hours.
Oresama
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Even if you're not going to offer a lite version, consider dividing the package into a WAV package and a package containing the rest. That way you don't have to upload everything all over again each time.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Oresama » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 pm

I don't mind uploading the game files only for people who already downloaded the beta and can do that when the current upload finishes. Considering that there have been 14 downloads, and 3 of those were me testing the connection, I didn't think there would be a big demand for it. The uploads run in the background so it's not a big deal to upload multiple packages. If it runs all day it runs all day. The updates I've made from the first release are relatively minor, but here they are:

-Eliminated the silence at the beginning of the new music in Noah. It was mostly silent in the original release due to the way the initial song was.
-Dark Force used Jams' face graphic when speaking. Removed this, and currently looking for a Dark Force face graphic.
-Cleaned up the script more and fixed words getting cut off caused by the original fixes.

So they're rather minor changes, but if more people are going to be playing it it's easier to upload it now than have people report issues that have already been fixed.

I'm hesitant to upload a separate WAV pack until everything is finalized but have no problem with it once it's done. If there ends up being another modification like this it would require updating the WAV pack again, which eliminates the benefit of having a separate pack in the first place.
Oresama
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Oresama » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:55 am

Here are the files needed for the update only. The first upload had an issue when I was gone and will need to be restarted, so will be posted when it finishes sometime tomorrow.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FLRCSFB3
Oresama
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Oresama » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:10 am

Here is the download from scratch. If adding a download to the main page use this link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=59UDLQOH
Oresama
Locusta
Locusta

Postby fogeltje » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Old topic, I know. But I'd like to thank both the creator of the game and the guy who made the patch for their work. I found this game a short while ago and enjoyed playing it through. I played "the good path" for a while. But after a while I used the level/money cheat in Abion since I was more interested in the storyline rather than fighting monsters every two steps. The patch is a godsend in that aspect. I'm doing a quick play through of the evil storyline now, also again with cheats.

There's still some weird things (for instance when you return to Joshs house in Abion you get the guard uniform again and then stay in uniform, or Plumb is still in her house after a spoiler related event near the end of the game, even if you didn't do a spoiler related event to her father in the beginning). But overall I liked the game, both the story and the attitudes. The non-lineair part of the story is great.
fogeltje
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Missagh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:05 pm

@fogeltje Do you by any chance have a copy of that patch as it was when you download it of megaupload? I would like to add it to the PS Cave fan page section of the game. The issue here is that Megaupload is closed down and we can't access the file anymore :(
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby fogeltje » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Missagh wrote:@fogeltje Do you by any chance have a copy of that patch as it was when you download it of megaupload? I would like to add it to the PS Cave fan page section of the game. The issue here is that Megaupload is closed down and we can't access the file anymore

Oh right, I didn't even realize it was from MegaUpload. I guess good thing I downloaded it when I did. I have the original RAR file as I downloaded right here. I'll upload it to Dropbox, please let me know once you have it so I can remove it from Dropbox again...on second though, dropbox is quite slow today as it appears and I don't think I'm awake long enough for all of it to upload. I'll upload it tomorrow and place the link here. Sorry.
fogeltje
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Missagh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Excellent fogeltje! If you wish, you can upload it to all, or any, of these:
http://hotfile.com
http://fileserve.com
http://wupload.com
http://filesonic.com
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby fogeltje » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks for the links, but lately I've grown kind of accustomed to Dropbox. At least there I know I have full control over my files. Sadly the online uploader has a file limit of 300mb (and the patch is 800mb large), so I can't upload it at uni. I'll have to do it at home with my desktop application so it won't be until tonight until I can give it a try. Sorry about that. I didn't know about the limit as I mostly use the desktop application and hardly ever upload that big a file.

One more thing about this patch. It's large, at 800mb, but the new sounds are worth it. The quality of the sound files in the original was rather poor and loud so I often played the game without any sound at all. The patch is a HUGE improvement in that area, in my eyes fully worth the extra download time.
fogeltje
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff