What games are you playing at the moment?

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Re: What games are you playing at the moment?

Postby Zucca » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Odamex.

Let's see what it has...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Wing-0 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22 am

Currently playing The 3rd Birthday for the PSP. I got it recently as a gift for fixing stuff.

Here goes my rant on the game:

Despite my by now long time dislike for Square Enix because of how they have fallen in innovation AND storytelling, I have to admit that I enjoyed my first run through the game. I had lots of fun following the story, learning the battle mechanics as well as getting used to the customization system.

As expected, the graphics are way above the average for PSP games. That's a nice plus, but the best part of the game is that despite being a shooter at heart, it still manages to be a good one in the limited control scheme that the PSP allows.

The story is a mixed bag, though. Some parts are really good, perhaps even brilliant in some moments, but in some others, it goes as low as being utterly ridiculous. This time, however, the good overweighs the bad. The story is fragmented during the first few chapters, but begins making sense near the end.

One of the gripes I read in some sites about the game was the behavior of the protagonist. The change from the determined badass Aya Brea was in the first two games to the determined wimp she is in this third game was enough to make some rather rabid AND irrational fans deride this game as bad, a disappointment, even trash by some standards.

Well? There is a reason for that! And it's explained fully in the ending! Surprise! Some people just got the game, got all pissy and returned it while whining about the changes.

All this is not to say I agtree with everything this game does. To be honest, I find the occurrence of Aya's clothing getting all ripped ranging from silly but to some extent plausible, to ridiculous and silly in other more extreme cases. Eh... It's not that big a gripe anyway.

The music is good, so I can say I'm very satisfied. I just missed the Aya VS Eve theme from Parasite Eve 1 a lot, though. Still, much to my satisfaction, the original battle theme is included in the soundtrack in a great rendition that made me shed a tear of nostalgia.

This game is good and certainly worth more than the 7 it got at Metacritic. The game is also cheap in UMD form. 20 dollars and 30 in digital distribution, much to my surprise.

Is this worth getting? If you ask me, definitely yes. It also does have a good amount of replay value.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Meh, parasite eve is kinda ghey.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby The HuBBs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:37 pm

finally... FINALLY beat two worlds ... now onto other games to beat.
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby LegoMuskCat » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Finished Ys II. Final boss was a joke with the guard/defend/whatever magic, and the guy before him was a huge pushover. =p

Next!
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Caged Wolf » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Well, I beat No More Heroes 2 a few days ago. Daggerfall is an ongoing long term thing, since I spend way more time messing around than actually doing the core quests, ha ha (especially since my character became a werewolf :D ).

I was out shopping this week and while out, I found 2 games really cheap. The first is Dragon Rage, an old (2001!) PS2 game. In it, instead of being the guy slaying the dragon, you're the dragon flying around, setting things on fire, attacking villages, eating livestock, and generally causing havoc, though they still manage to give it a heroic slant because you're trying to save all the dragons from evil orcs. It's a decently solid game. but it shows its age a bit. But it's fun to fly around, it's decently easy to get the basics, and once you get the overall hang of it, it's definitely fun to play. Not a masterpiece by any means, but it's nice to actually be the dragon doing what dragons to. As much as I enjoy the Spyro franchise, Spyro never got to go around and just cause havoc. :icon-twisted:

The second game is Madworld for the Wii. Like NMH, this game is far more violent than the games I usually play. Especially since this game seems to be violence for the sake of violence. It's also an absolute blast to play, and made even better by a unique comic book art style. Please name another game in which you can pick up a tire, ring your opponent in it, then rip up a sign post, jam it through your opponents head, then pick him up and throw him into a spiked wall. Or impale him into said spiked several times before leaving him there. That's part of the tutorial. You can also throw him into a moving train. Or hold him against said moving train for a little bit. Or likely do several other things depending on what happens to be around you at the time. I've barely started the game. I guess I'll find out.
Caged Wolf
Locusta
Locusta

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Langrisser IV, the Sega Saturn (and best) version.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby The HuBBs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:06 am

Bastion. such a great game. w00t.
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I've been playing Mega Man ZX Advent's Survival Road the past days. It's a boss rush mode. Fight every boss in the game one after another. All abilities are unlocked, but you have stock energy meters and only two full sub tanks. It's quite a challenge.

The reason I've been playing it more consistently recently is because I've managed to get further in. I'm getting better and I've gotten a couple tips from watching others play.

I managed to defeat one more boss today. I thought I was done, but then another boss appeared! I got owned. It's another boss you can't practice on. Eek!
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:56 am

I beat Bionic Commando in the PS3, tried the demo of Street Fighter III, liked it, then played lots of Arcana Heart 3. Being sick stinks... I can't do anything but play games and I don't even enjoy them much... I can't breathe well...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Shadowcaster » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 pm

a game called deus ex: human revolution
Shadowcaster
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Semix » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:53 am

Been playing LA Noire, borrowing it from a friend, and tons of minecraft<3
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 am

I should try Minecraft someday...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby LegoMuskCat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

A friend purchased DQ6 for me as a gift~! Unfortunately, I'll have to put off playing it for awhile longer. :c
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby The HuBBs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Shadowcaster wrote:a game called deus ex: human revolution

+1
-----I am HuBBs-----

coming soon.....
The HuBBs
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion