Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Blaw- » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 am

Zio51 wrote:
skymandr wrote:I disagree there, at least in this context. A real anagram, true to the original Japanese, would use L (or R), A, S (or SH), II (or IE) and K (or C). There are several options for localisation of the anagram, but definitely not H as a separate character, and E is not a separate character either. The H is mandatory in SH if, and only if, the double I follows S, and the E is only there to state that the I is long.The bottom line for me is, that I don't think that Sha in Sha Riec is not to any considerable degree any more or less right than Sa Riec, and that claiming that it has to be Sh because it is sh in La Shiec has no foundation supporting it. Sa is maybe a little more logical to me -- closer to the Japanese -- but most importantly I think it looks better. =)

I understand what you come at with this, but the way I personally see this is that anagram doesn't exist in Japanese in the sense of how it defined in our languages.
That's for the reason that Blaw mentioned; Japanese is based on syllabs. So it is arguable whether Hiragana, Katakana or kanji to that effect can be considered as letter.

skymandr wrote:The "h" in Ra-Shiec only enters in English, in Japanese the "proper" anagram is definitely Sa-Riec (or Sa-Liec, to be consistent), not Sha-Riec.

Though even if we consider Japanese syllabs similar as to letters in our alphabet, then Sa-riec isn't an anagram either (since "sha" syllable is not written the same as "shi" syllable, similar for ra/ri).
A true anagram could only be something like Shii-raku in that case.

Anyway I think all we meant was to say it's like the equivalent of anagram but with sounds or something along those lines.

No, it depend. It could really be an anagram even for japanese people. It's meant to be a foreign name as it's written in katakanas.

Let's say the japanese think the name is : Lasiec, so they write it "ラシーク".

Now, they want to do an anagram of the original name, so Lasiec. Let's say, they decide to write it "Saliec" (which is a true anagram of "Lasiec").

Of course, in japanese, they'll have to use differents syllabs to write "Saliec", so "サリーク" but the japanese will still read it "Saliec" (which is a true anagram).

The explanation of the "shi" is that officially, "si" don't exist. But "sha" exist so we ca assumen that if it would be "Lashiec" and also an anagram, it would be "シャリーク" (Shariiku).

For now, I put "Ohario Saliec" and so changed "Lassic" to Lasiec" in the introduction. It might rechange later, depending of Tryphon choice (but it's only for the french version, so no worries :D).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:18 am

A good french anagram of Rashik would be Chirac :D

Oh, by the way, I found the bug :whistle:
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:45 am

Tryphon wrote:A good french anagram of Rashik would be Chirac

Le président atomique! :D

Tryphon wrote:Oh, by the way, I found the bug

Great! BTW, and this is a bit OT, where did you learn how to hack games? I've been coding for years, but I wouldn't know where to start... Got any pointers for an old noob?
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I had never (but really never) looked into a game source code before PSGEN. I didn't even plan to do anything on it (I remember having told someone here that implementing a Variable Width Font in the game was surely close to impossible :mrgreen: ). So I never really learnt to hack games and I'm quite unaware of regular hacking communauties (I'm currently discover them).

OTOH, I'm an amateur coder since my teenage days, I had already written assembler code, I have strong basis with C and algorithms and I use regularly Python (It'd work with any other convenient language with which you can test quickly some ideas).

So, if you meet those requirements, I can give you some advices

But for other tasks (that don't require coding, such as translating non-encoded texts), I think Blaw- knows much more than me.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 am

Yay! another Python-programmer!

I'm a C and Python coder myself (more Python than C recently, though my base is in C, and so I sorely miss strong types in Python...). I don't like looking at assembly output unless I really have too (i.e. too see why something isn't giving me the expected speedup -- is it me or the compiler? that sort of thing) -- I [emphatically] don't code in assembly! ;)

I'm not looking for any tips in particular, and it's probably not for this thread anyway, but thanks for sharing your background.
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

PSG2 Manual/BoxCover/Disc Scans

Postby darkwraith007 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm

THESE WERE NOT SCANNED BY ME. I TAKE NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER FOR THIS.

I only converted the (huge) BMP files to PNG (compression level 9) with no discernible loss in quality. Cut the size in half!
I also zipped it up since 7zip seemed oddly to *increase* the total size instead of decreasing it. Zip is about the same size with little additional compression.

Download link here:
http://www.filedropper.com/psgen2-scans600dpi

I'm hoping some people who are willing to translate this would do so. Make a fantastic present for Nei at least :)
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 pm

In fact, the size of the BMP were already cut in half with the RAR compression, but that's nice for people who want to have them in PNG and who are lazy to convert them.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:00 am

カインズ・ジ・アン (KAINZU [D]JI AN)

(I put a D in option because even if it's retranscribed in the japanese words as JI, it's pronounced DJI so it could be both for a foreign name).

Keinz-what?
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Blaw- wrote:カインズ・ジ・アン (KAINZU [D]JI AN)(I put a D in option because even if it's retranscribed in the japanese words as JI, it's pronounced DJI so it could be both for a foreign name).Keinz-what?

It seems to me that the surname is rooted in chinese or similar in terms of how it sounds.

In that case, I think Kains/Kienz Zhi An would perhaps be a good fit. The "Zh" sound is quite specific to chinese and very close to the Ji hiragana.

It all comes to down to how soft/hard you think the "ji" should sound as zhi in chinese is like softly between "dji" and "dzi".

Anyway in my opinion due to the "An" behind Zhi is my preferred choice.
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm

For the first name, we already decided about Keinz (german).

By the way, we just got a problem in the game and unfortunately, some translations in one file will have to be shortened because the file is too big and if we keep the file too big, the "Consult" fonction crash the game.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Grandpaf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:13 am

Wow! I'm so amazed by your work so far! Since french is my primary langage, be sure I and many others will be grateful to you. Si tu as besoin d'aide sur le script en français, au niveau des nuances, je serais prêt à te donner un coup de main sur ce sujet.

About the subtitle, it can be a tricky matter to keep the original meaning intact. The end of the lost age... While yours is good, its doesnt sound like a fatality as the japanese one. Sometime, in french, it is very hard to keep an original meaning. I know what I mean cause I made a personal complete french script of Rule of Rose on the PS2. You need to work around and to be creative :)
Bizou bizou!
Grandpaf
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 am

The french subtitle of the game is "La fin d'une époque".

About the english one, I'm not sure Kyence made her decision yet.

French translation status is ~60% completed. I'm actually translating the three last scripts file of the first planet (Motavia) which will make the translation reach ~70%.
Attachments
gsdx_20130627111633.PNG
gsdx_20130627111633.PNG (396.61 KiB) Viewed 17201 times
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Some news.

A few weeks ago, we found a bug in the MTE but, of course, Tryphon managed to fix it.

We also found that if the file "0003.txt" (mainly Paseo dialogs, the town, the gouvernor, the library, etc...) is too big, it make the game crash when you use the "Consult" function (with L1). So the texts inside that file will require to not be too long, contrary to the others files where we theorically won't ever reach the limit. It'll probably be the only limitation of this translation.

French translation status is 65%.

About the main script, 6 files remain to be translated : Zosa, Aukba, Ryuon, Spatioport, Esper mansion ; Noah spaceship.

Paseo file is 75% translated (I'm translating it little by little, each time I find new texts from this file in the game).

File "0001" (Consult function) is not translated yet, it'll be the last one to be done.

Right now, the game can be played from the start until the end of Gaira Satellite with virtually no japanese in the dialogs.

I assume the french translation (texts only, not the whole patch) will be over during August or September. Then, I'll play the game from start to end on a real PS2 to ensure there is no bug left which might crash the game.

About the english translation, Kyence is back since a little while and she said she'll redo the english graphics now that we don't have anymore space limitations for them, then she'll start the text translation (she already have access to all the files I translated if she need them).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 am

Sentence from Tyler : 我が遊撃艦ランディールへようこそ…

Even though the most common match I found on google is "Landale", it's hard for me to think it's the good retranscription (except if "Landale" is pronounced "Landil" but I don't think so ?)

How do you pronounce "Landale" in english ? (if you take the example of how I wrote "RANDIIRU" for example). "RANDA(A)RU" ? "RANDE(E)RU" ?
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:52 am

What's the meaning of the sentence ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff