Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Postby Goldenboy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 am

I'm a die-hard fans of Phantasy Star 2, it was my first JRPG on GENESYS SYTEM. I was only 8 and i thinked "OH MY GOD WHAT A HELLISH GAME"!!!! (love at first sight but never beat it).

When i found the translation project of the REMAKE on pscave i silently followed the development and hoped in a FINAL VERSION that sadly never came, so when the project stopped I GRAB CUE's tools (the only available at the time) and started fixing myself the typos. When i already FIXED a LOT of SandyLandale's REPORTs (included VAN LEADER enemy name) and ready to post a 0.8a version for all of you guys...then apperead Blaw that uploaded the final version of ALGORING and opened the french forum of the project....AND GUYS WHAT A BLAST!!!

In a second i found myself all the TOOLs and KNOWLEDGE of these AMAZING PEOPLE to modify and edit EVERYTHING from the GAME..and since i've already worked on the EVENT's scripts...HALF OF THE TEDIOUS JOB was already done. SO I'm here to present PHANTASY STAR GEN2 VERSION2.

The release is compiled FROM FRENCH VERSION using ALL "original" GRAPHICS & TEXT from english version; I tried to take the BEST from both version. Here's the LIST of improvemets:

1) ADDED ICONS for TECHs (missing in french release).
2) CORRECTED TECHNIQUEs DESCRIPTION TO DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO(some are wrong also in japanese and for 1-2 techniques have same description).
3) FIXED THE AMBIGUITY/ICONS for GLANZ & ZONDE TECHs from english (one LIGHT the other THUNDER).
4) COMPLETELY REWORKED ITEM DESCRIPTION to BE more faithful of japanese version.
5) FIXED all SPILLOVER (ITEM DESCRIPTION & MONSTER). Mostly of item SPILLOVERs happens in the STORAGE BOX where the space is less than the game's windows.
NB:The optimal/MAXIMUM MONSTER NAME LENGHT is 13 CHAR SO for someone I HAD TO CHANGE ORIGINAL using the WIKI on pscave or simply using abbreviation. I think the result is GOOD.
6) FIXED (i hope) all typos and text display issues.
7) REPLACED in the ENGLISH ASSET the POISON TEXT in UI with FRENCH ICON (much much nicer).
8) RESIZED RUDGER NAME TO FIT STATUS DISPLAY (GOOD when LEVEL is one digit, UGLY when two digits).
9) FIXED ECM Prompt menu.
10) CHANGED "in-battle" WEAPON DESCRIPTION regarding "Element and Equip" (french version uses a different font...that i don't like).

[SCREENSHOTS]

Image Image Image Image Image

TO BE DONE:
1) TESTING, TESTING, TESTING....this is a "one-man" project so UNAVOIDABLY some errors may have occurred.
I'haven't had the time to play the game from "start to finish" several times (only the conversion project took me all my holidays)..i need users with REAL PS2/PCSX2 willing to TEST....
2) IMPROVING TRANSLATION: as i said this version have KIENCE scripts, a magnificent work in both traduction and simplicity but in some points a "LITTLE CLUNKY/STRANGE".
I'm nor a translator/ japanese student but now we have dumped scripts...so if someone is much more prepared or have suggestions..let's discuss in the forum.
3) IMPROVING TEXT DISTRIBUTION in WINDOWS.
4) HOPE that TRYPHON seeing this new version will came back and "FIX THE ITEM DROP BUG" however, as said by Blaw, the french version is unaffected because item drop seems somewhat disabled (but i couldn't test on a real ps2).
EDIT:In the latest releases ITEM DROP BUG HAS BEEN FIXED by TRYPHON!!!
5) EVERY CHANGE THAT I MADE IS QUESTIONABLE AND I'M OPEN TO DISCUSSION/MODIFICATION...i want the community to have the DEFINITIVE VERSION.

ULTIMATE GOAL:
After ALL the troubleshooting/improvements i WILL RELEASE A PS4 PKG (I ALREADY CONVERTED for MYSELF the 0.8 version) for MODDED CONSOLEs.

FINAL NOTE: This version WANT TO BE A TRIBUTE TO THESE WONDERFUL GUYS (French/English team) that relized the original versions and all the tools. I only learned from these geniouses and assembled a more "refined" version..i'm not inventing nothing....ALL CREDITS STILL GO TO THEM.... .

I DON'T WANT IN ANY WAY OFFEND PEOPLE THAT WORKED ON THE ORIGINAL PROJECT so i will post my version ONLY AFTER reading what the community/modder/author (if someone still interested) thinks about it.

Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2f:
https://www43.zippyshare.com/v/mq3OEFNW/file.html (mirror)
Last edited by Goldenboy on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Postby rodrigo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am

The screenshots look great.
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Nice work. Feel free to share your version.

About the item drop bug, I sent a new message to Tryphon. He said he would look at it but I guess he might have forgotten.

About the french version, I'm not sure it's disabled but I never got a single crash related to that on both PCSX2/real hardware (used Open PS2 loader and loaded the game from an USB Key) but I never got a single item drop either so yeah, I guess the item drop is broken is the french version but doesn't make the game crash as far as I know...

Note that I tested the game with a hacked save (maxed all the HP/etc...) so I avoided lot of battles and it's might be why I never got a crash. Maybe if I would have played all battles, I would have got crashes too.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:56 am

Edited first POST with initial release....enjoy ;)
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am

Trphon just said me he's still working on something else but that he'll fix the bug once he's done.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I hoped in this answer...GREAT!!!

I PURPOSELY made this version so he can focus ONLY on the BUG...hopefully the other things NOW are fully editable by me (& community) with HIS tools... ;)
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Oh my god. Oh my god. This is the best news I've had years!!

Does Algoring work for PSG:1? Where can I download it? Would it work on PSG:1 v2.10? I've been dying to fix up reported typos and release a v3.00.

Edit 1 - Doing some preliminary testing now, just playing around in my save.

Firstly, as someone who is on the team, I just want to wholeheartedly thank you for your work, Goldenboy.

But I have to bring up something I noticed: the altered tech names. GiFeuer, GiResta, and whatnot. There's a multitude of problems with them.

1. We're going by the online games' naming schemes. Those games do not capitalize techs mid-word. (Gifoie, Naresta, etc.)
2. It makes it inconsistent with Phantasy Star III and my work on Phantasy Star Generation:1.
3. I don't think we should change what Kyence intended in her release; we should just tidy up what she already did. (Rester > Resta... Why?)
4. This naming scheme of mid-word capitalization is inconsistent. The Gisa- Nasa- spells are combinations of Gi-/Na- and Sa- spells. By the logic in your edits, the spells should be like, "GiSaResta". (In spite of this, I would prefer only the first letter of the spell name capitalized if possible)

Secondly, there are a number of small issues still, ones I think Tryphon might have to fix. Silka's Skill "Tornado" description still seems to have the "Element: Wind" part at the bottom of the screen. And when trying to talk to Mother Brain with a dead Eusis still results in you walking away with Mother Brain attached to the back of the third teammate. (Still not sure if that's an emulator or translation glitch though.) If the text Element: Wind is separate from the ECM text, maybe we could instead replace the green "Wind" part with the wind-elemental icon.

One more thing is that icons seem to be missing from Skill names. Was this intentional?

Speaking of icons, Megiddo seems to still use the fire-elemental icon despite it being non-elemental. I had originally suggested adding a new Arcane Magic icon. See below:

If we can't insert it, maybe we should use the Key Item icon for Megiddo and other non-elemental spells.

Also, I was wondering if we should change Maruera to Maerla or something similar, since in Japanese, Maruera マルエラ is an anagram of Laerma. ラエルマ I can cite my reasons for suggesting Maerla as opposed to Amreal or Marela if you'd like.

One more thing, the System Menu is in all caps for some reason. I know it didn't used to be. (PIPE DISPLAY, SUSPEND, QUIT GAME in all capital letters, for example)

OK, one last thing I can think of. Do you know if v2 has Tryphon's MTE? (Multi-Text Encoding) When we were doing v2.10 of PSG:1, I remember I had a problem where words would disappear at times in the inventory if you scrolled through the menu too fast. I just had that happen to me in PSG:2 in the Equipment Menu, but I couldn't replicate it.

Edit 2 - I was just able to replicate it. And it's the same exact thing that happened with PSG:1. Go to the Status Menu. View a character's equipment and EXP values, then press O to view techs. (This works best on a tech-heavy character like Eusis.) Now press X and go to the Equipment Menu. The list of equipment a character is currently wearing will be blank. If PSG:2 doesn't have the MTE file, there's going to be a bigger problem down the line.

I'm willing to test this further, Goldenboy, after we've had a discussion on some of these things, particularly the technique names. We really have to figure out this MTE business as well. I'm one of those modders who is very meticulous; I put thought into every single change I make. This might make me annoying to deal with at times, but that's only because I want to ensure the best possible result is delivered to people who will be playing this translation.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 am

Algoring works for PSG1 but it doesn't support it at 100% from what I know (the full support was never finished). I just know it can deal with most of the things without any problems (like the main script, for example).

I posted the links on another thread, here : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3175&start=1080#p59338

PSG2 hack use a MTE for some words (edited\fonts).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:16 am

This disappearing text bug is very strange, then, because it didn't crop up in the beta of PSG:2.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Goldenboy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:47 pm

@SandyLandale

Thanks for all the critics MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED!!!....and...... I'm SAME AS YOU and i want to release the best possible product (for my abilities)...so i'm another annoyng person

EDIT1:
a) I've chosen the mid-word BECAUSE i think it was easier to identify moves at glance...but i understand all your points...and in the next release i'll revert back to original..no prob...

b) Can you post me a screen of Silka's Tornado problem? (i never use Silka in my little playtroughs so i didn't noticed it)
I'm trying to figure out if it's a coding problem (ONLY TRYPHON IN THIS CASE) or a thing that i can fix myself using algoring....

c) MENU VOICES in Capital Letter is MY choice (i wanted to differentiate "MENU SUBJECT" from the "option" they offer) but as always i'm ready to revert it back if you/people don't like it...

d)No i'havent used Tryphon's MTE. I have used "MY PERSONAL SMALL" MTE Table and i think that disappering text is caused by this...in any way i have Tryphon's original one and can use that in the next release (i didnt' notice this bUG) THANKS...

e) I Also wanted to change Megiddo ICON to have a unique one (but haven't time to find a nice one) so in the next release i'll change with yours.
Last edited by Goldenboy on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:00 am

Re: Menu choices in all caps - That does make sense, and I can see where you're coming from. Sometimes, all caps does help differentiate selections from descriptions. However, in this case, the description text is yellow, which is already enough difference shown.

Re: Element: Wind

Like this. Maybe putting spaces before "Wind" or after "Element:"? (You can also see another problem I have--the icons for Skill names are gone. They were there in the beta, and I think they should be kept. Royal Guard should have the shield icon. Final Force should have the Mono/Di/Trifluid icon. Revenge and Sulfur should have my new Arcane Magic icon. Nareverser and Medical Treatment should have the healing icon. Explosive Touch should have the anti-robot tech icon. And Tornado should have the wind icon.)

Also, please do consider also reverting Resta to Rester as Kyence had it. Rester is still pronounced Resta since it's faux-German, just like Water (Baata originally, pronounced Vah-tah) and Falser (Pronounced Fall-zah).

------

So Blaw-, can I talk to you more about Algoring? I have all of the PSG:1 v3.00 text files in SHIFT-JIS format. (JUST the text though, not everything else.) Would that be good enough to compile a new English ISO? The only non-text things I need to do are put in the new Arcane Magic icon, and I need to know what code everyone's portraits are so I can finally add character name labels to dialogue. (Sorely needed!) I also need to put in some edited item descriptions, but that's it.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Probably. Maybe convert them to utf-8 would be better as, I far as I know, algoring use utf-8 files (at least, that's how my files are encoded in).

Just try and if you don't manage to make it, feel free to send me your files and I'll try myself. I personally tried to compile an ISO of PSGEN1 with one file I had translated in french and it worked fine (and if I manage to do it, I'll send you the whole folder I have for PSGEN1. It's using the same algoring version but it's already set up for PSGEN1).
Last edited by Blaw- on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm

If you could send me the whole folder, I'd very much appreciate it. I don't have the graphics at all. I'm not even sure how I'd go about inserting the icon for Arcane Magic right now, honestly.

Edit - I have some icons that need to be added as well, but I don't know if that will be a problem. I apparently do already have the icon files.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Goldenboy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:45 am

Weekend....Time for a new release!!!

Thanks to SandyLandale's precious tips I've made some adjustments.

Here the list of FIXES/Improvements of Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2a:

1) FIXED Rudger SPILLOUT in "BATTLE MODE".
2) FIXED Silka's Tornado.
3) FIXED Prompt Screen in the "classic game" (SELECT button during play).
4) RE-ADDED ICONs for Skill Names (i totally forgot in the first instance).
5) ADDED ARCANE ICON and used for Megiddo and Rudger's Skill (for SULFUR i decided to use the bio-organic one).
6) REVERTED BACK Menu CAPITAL LETTER to their original form (Yellow-White contrast is enough no need of CAPITAL LETTER).
7) COMPLETELY REWORKED "MTE Table"....THE DISAPPEARING EQUIPMENT BUG should be resolved...
8) And "DULCIS IN FUNDO" reverted back TECH's Name to their original form....

[SCREENSHOTS]
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Please Download new version in OP and let me know....

PS: As for Eusis-Mother Brain GLITCH i've checked and IT ISN'T A TRANSLATION BUG (played original japanese version);
IT'S a PCSX2 EMULATION GLITCH or an "ORIGINAL GLITCH", in both cases i think it's not our DUTY TO FIX THIS ...Sadly i haven't a real PS2 to do another TEST and exclude PCSX2 emulator.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Goldenboy wrote:Weekend....Time for a new release!!!

Thanks to SandyLandale's precious tips I've made some adjustments.

Here the list of FIXES/Improvements of Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2a:

1) FIXED Rudger SPILLOUT in "BATTLE MODE".
2) FIXED Silka's Tornado.
3) FIXED Prompt Screen in the "classic game" (SELECT button during play).
4) RE-ADDED ICONs for Skill Names (i totally forgot in the first instance).
5) ADDED ARCANE ICON and used for Megiddo and Rudger's Skill (for SULFUR i decided to use the bio-organic one).
6) REVERTED BACK Menu CAPITAL LETTER to their original form (Yellow-White contrast is enough no need of CAPITAL LETTER).
7) COMPLETELY REWORKED "MTE Table"....THE DISAPPEARING EQUIPMENT BUG should be resolved...
8) And "DULCIS IN FUNDO" reverted back TECH's Name to their original form....

[SCREENSHOTS]
[screenshots trimmed for brevity]

Please Download new version in OP and let me know....

PS: As for Eusis-Mother Brain GLITCH i've checked and IT ISN'T A TRANSLATION BUG (played original japanese version);
IT'S a PCSX2 EMULATION GLITCH or an "ORIGINAL GLITCH", in both cases i think it's not our DUTY TO FIX THIS ...Sadly i haven't a real PS2 to do another TEST and exclude PCSX2 emulator.

Awesome! This looks great, and I'll start testing it soon. One thing is I recommended the Arcane Magic icon for Sulfur because it does work on all 3 enemy types. The Bio-organic Magic icon makes sense, but it might lead people into thinking it can only be used on organic enemies. Then again... that might not be a bad thing, since you can paralyze Dark Falz and Mother Brain using Sulfur. Makes Huey into the most broken character.

Edit 1 - I can confirm that the new MTE works. Thanks so much for all your hard work, Goldenboy! If you haven't added yourself to the credits, by all means, please do!

Edit 2 - I'm gonna start giving notes in a bulleted format so they're easier to read.

- Fields no longer use the Field icon. They're belts that generate force fields, so the armor icon doesn't necessarily make sense.

- I noticed Fibrillaes now seem to use the Robe icon. To me, that's not really an issue, but I thought I should point it out. (I've always been ambivalent about the Fibrillae icon, but if you want to change it back, I think you should)

- When you confirm that you want to load PSGEN1 Clear Game data, it still says "Loading Clear Game save." The game is actually telling you that it has already loaded a Clear Game save, so I think this should say, "Clear Game save loaded."

- Here's another small issue I noticed in the beta that hasn't been fixed in v2 yet.

SandyLandale wrote:I remember it was reported that the Plasma Field, when used as an item, casts a Gadge spell when used as an item. Chi89333 brought an item list to my attention that pointed out the Plasma Sword also uses a Gadge spell when used as an item. So I decided to puzzle out which casts what and I have that now.

- Plasma Sword: Casts Gigadge
- Plasma Field: Casts Sagadge

I don't have the Plasma Sword anymore to check its description, but I can see the Plasma Field still says "Unknown details..." rather than "Casts Sagadge."

- After defeating Mother Brain, Lutz still says, "By Tajima's light, you have saved the people of Algol!" It should say, "By Tajim's light, you have saved the people of Algol!" Master Tajim was never officially known as Tajima originally, only Tajim and Tarzimal. We had decided on using Tajim.

- If everyone but Silka is dead when you're arrested, she has a line on Gaira saying something like, "We can't just run around like headless Morappies!" Did you remember to change that to Mo Rappy like the enemy names are spelled now? (I didn't check this for myself because I don't want to keep redoing the Army Eye fight if I can help it)

- more to come, hopefully not that much
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Fan stuff