Good news--state of PS Generation:1 and 2 fan translations

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Good news--state of PS Generation:1 and 2 fan translations

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 am

I thought I'd make a separate thread on it so as not to clog up Goldenboy's existing thread, and also to share the news in a bigger way.

Alright everyone, some intensely exciting new developments have begun with the Phantasy Star Generation:1 and Phantasy Star Generation:2 English fan translation projects.

Firstly, we've found out that Phantasy Star Generation:1 never had a bug due to the fan translation. Back in June, MHzBurglar let me know that it was all because of the CD format of the game. In order to play PSG:1 on your real PS2, you need to convert it to DVD format and burn it to a real DVD. You for sure cannot have it run off of an external hard drive or similar device. I'm unsure at the moment about having it run from a network.

So, the remaining issues for PSG:1 are typo fixes (Thanks again so much to everyone who sent in a report!) and consistency. (Spell names in cyan as opposed to yellow in dialogue, adding character names to dialogue alongside their portraits, small issues in Collabo spell names.) I'm hoping to be able to do this with Algoring. It may take a little while, but I'm hoping to have it out by October if I can figure Algoring out.

As for PSG:2, Goldenboy has worked out the remaining problems with Phantasy Star Generation:2's translation. I'm working with him to further tweak his v2 and harmonize the PSG:1 and PSG:2 translation efforts. The most exciting thing: Blaw- has managed to get ahold of Tryphon. Right now, Tryphon is finishing up work on another project, and then he said he'll fix PSG:2's crashing bug when you win an item after battle.

After all of this is done, what I want to do is provide new ISOs pre-converted to DVD format for use on the site. We'll need to be sure that the instructions are right, and hopefully we can have someone test the burned DVDs on their modded PS2. After that, then I want to add separate archives for just XDELTA patches to apply to CD-format Japanese ISOs. (Please support the official release if you are able.)

I'm confident that at least in 2019, we'll have perfectly working, flaw-free PSG:1 and 2. I never thought this day would approach, but it has.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

\o/

Postby Zucca » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Really nice to hear that these projects are alive once again. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Re: Good news--state of PS Generation:1 and 2 fan translatio

Postby xenowildfire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 am

SandyLandale wrote:I thought I'd make a separate thread on it so as not to clog up Goldenboy's existing thread, and also to share the news in a bigger way.

Alright everyone, some intensely exciting new developments have begun with the Phantasy Star Generation:1 and Phantasy Star Generation:2 English fan translation projects.

Firstly, we've found out that Phantasy Star Generation:1 never had a bug due to the fan translation. Back in June, MHzBurglar let me know that it was all because of the CD format of the game. In order to play PSG:1 on your real PS2, you need to convert it to DVD format and burn it to a real DVD. You for sure cannot have it run off of an external hard drive or similar device. I'm unsure at the moment about having it run from a network.

So, the remaining issues for PSG:1 are typo fixes (Thanks again so much to everyone who sent in a report!) and consistency. (Spell names in cyan as opposed to yellow in dialogue, adding character names to dialogue alongside their portraits, small issues in Collabo spell names.) I'm hoping to be able to do this with Algoring. It may take a little while, but I'm hoping to have it out by October if I can figure Algoring out.

As for PSG:2, Goldenboy has worked out the remaining problems with Phantasy Star Generation:2's translation. I'm working with him to further tweak his v2 and harmonize the PSG:1 and PSG:2 translation efforts. The most exciting thing: Blaw- has managed to get ahold of Tryphon. Right now, Tryphon is finishing up work on another project, and then he said he'll fix PSG:2's crashing bug when you win an item after battle.

After all of this is done, what I want to do is provide new ISOs pre-converted to DVD format for use on the site. We'll need to be sure that the instructions are right, and hopefully we can have someone test the burned DVDs on their modded PS2. After that, then I want to add separate archives for just XDELTA patches to apply to CD-format Japanese ISOs. (Please support the official release if you are able.)

I'm confident that at least in 2019, we'll have perfectly working, flaw-free PSG:1 and 2. I never thought this day would approach, but it has.

What happens when it's ran on real hardware? I used the iso from before and made a pkg for use in the PS3 and it works.
I know I am a little late but I figure I would post on here since you had mentioned it.
xenowildfire
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:17 am

PSGEN2 would crash if you won an item after battle. This has been fixed. PSGEN1's graphics would turn into garbage, but we've found the cause (We need to distribute both game as BIN/CUE as opposed to ISO, and ask people to play it on a USB instead of external hard drive)
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xenowildfire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:11 am

I haven't had either do that on PS3 I was playing the 0.8 and it didn't do that, I guess it may not do it cause the PS3 uses emulation but I just update PSGEN2 today.
PSGEN1 I haven't had now problems with it, wish I could help to play it on USB.
xenowildfire
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Fan stuff