Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Postby Goldenboy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks for the reports! They will be fixed in the next release.

Between the two i prefer "enchanted gear" BUT its ONLY my taste....

PS: I spotted the same problem also with MUSIK TECH...I will fix too! 8-) 8-)
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm glad to see progress is being made! I was involved with the translation, not the hacking, but if you need a playtester I'd be happy to help. I play games somewhat slowly, but I do have a softmoded PS2 with ESR installed for reading burnt discs, if you only need me to play for a bit, I'd def be able to (If you want a full play-through, I can *if* the game no longer crashes, just be aware it will take time.) Has the item-received-crashing-bug (I'm not sure if it has an exact name) been solved yet, sorry there is just so much text to read...Re:Swap Magic I never got it work with actually playing games, but it was essential in installing FreeMcboot, which was instrumental in anything else on a softmodding a PS2. Anyway, let me know if you would like any non-game-hacking help; regardless good luck!
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Yeah, the item-drop bug has been fixed (the last version Goldenboy posted already have the fix in it).

Goldenboy wrote:@Blaw-

Tested the NEW "patchPSGEN2.py" from 19:00 to 21:00 creating a NEW ISO. Here the Results:

Image Image Image

SO WE SHOULD SAY THAT (at least for emulator BUG is resolved).

Now, the game give you items and so the game shouldn't crash anymore after some battles on a real PS2.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Goldenboy wrote:Thanks for the reports! They will be fixed in the next release.

Between the two i prefer "enchanted gear" BUT its ONLY my taste....

PS: I spotted the same problem also with MUSIK TECH...I will fix too!

Good to hear! I forgot to say, "Enchanted gear" or other things isn't a term we need to put in either game, btw. I don't think the game ever really directly tells you, "hey, some equipment cast techs as items" aside from equipment descriptions. But I was just being driven mad thinking of how to say the term conversationally, haha
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Blaw- wrote:Yeah, the item-drop bug has been fixed (the last version Goldenboy posted already have the fix in it).

Goldenboy wrote:@Blaw-

Tested the NEW "patchPSGEN2.py" from 19:00 to 21:00 creating a NEW ISO. Here the Results:

Image Image Image

SO WE SHOULD SAY THAT (at least for emulator BUG is resolved).

Now, the game give you items and so the game shouldn't crash anymore after some battles on a real PS2.

Glad to hear it. I downloaded the file from the first post, however when I tried to patch it with ESR, it said "File does not have a valid UDF descriptor." Obviously this is a still work in progress so I'm bringing this to attention before the final release.
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Goldenboy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:23 pm

@Shinto-Cetra

Pay attention on what kind of ISO you're working on....In this case MY ISO is in PS2 FORMAT [MODE2/2352] AND NOT A CLASSIC PC-ISO [MODE1/2048].
I suspect the the "ESR PATCHING method" you're trying to do is applicable to STADARD PC-ISO...so you must first convert it (i suggest CDMage).

PS: ONLY TO SAY that ALGORING is doing his JOB FINE and outputting the right format :whistle: :whistle:
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 am

Goldenboy wrote:@Shinto-Cetra

Pay attention on what kind of ISO you're working on....In this case MY ISO is in PS2 FORMAT [MODE2/2352] AND NOT A CLASSIC PC-ISO [MODE1/2048].
I suspect the the "ESR PATCHING method" you're trying to do is applicable to STADARD PC-ISO...so you must first convert it (i suggest CDMage).

PS: ONLY TO SAY that ALGORING is doing his JOB FINE and outputting the right format

Ok I used CDMage, it works now. Thanks.
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Goldenboy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 am

It's sunday! Time for a new release! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thanks to SandyLandale's precious tips (thanks thanks thansk thanks) I've made some adjustments.

Here the list of FIXES/Improvements of Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2e:

1) FIXED "Buy : [Item] ?" and "Sell : [Item] ?" Menu.
2) ADDED ICONs to ITEM description when they casts TECHs.
3) ADDED Missig MUSIK ICON in BOTH EVENT.DAT & SLPM SCRIPTs.

[SCREENSHOTS]

Image Image Image Image

IMPORTANT

NOW that the MOST PART OF BUGS have been fixed (i hope), I'm starting to ADDRESS the TEXT DISTRIBUTION i was referring in O.P....BUT FIRST I want to know what you think about it (everyone).
I NEVER liked too much this TEXT DISTRIBUTION and wanted to OPTIMIZE for all the scripts in EVENT.DAT (for example):

I THINK it should be DISTRIBUITD like this:
-------------------------------------------------
Hey, you bla bla bla bla.
I shouldn't sell bla bla blablabla.
-------------------------------------------------

LET ME KNOW WHAT DO YOU THINK......if it's WORTH the EFFORT or NOT or IF YOU DISLIKE IT ALL TOGHETER (stupid idea)!
Last edited by Goldenboy on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 pm

I like the idea, but I don't think it would be worth the effort. If an important line of dialogue--like during a cutscene or something--needs an altered distribution or pacing, I'd say alter it a little. But otherwise, Algoring gives us automatic linebreaks, and we should take advantage of that to make the load easier on us.

Speaking of Algoring, I admit to not having finished PSGEN1's Consult dialogue yet, but I'm still waiting on Tryphon's most recent tools for PSGEN1 over here! :oops:
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 am

Oh, you're right, I forgot to ask him again, I'll do it now.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Thank you very much! I'll be all ready to go with v3.00 when the time comes. I just finished the Consult text.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Here's the link of the last version : http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/3Lx3AkTA

You'll have to modify the "config.py" file with a text editor :

Code: Select all
game = 2

PSGEN1_dir = 'C:/Users/fterr/Documents/hack/PSGEN1e'
PSGEN2_dir = 'C:/Users/fterr/Documents/hack/PSGEN2e'

process_events = True
process_sggg = True
process_fonts = True
process_md = True
force = False

debug = False
debug_level = 1

to change "game = 2" with "game = 1" and the games directories.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 am

Thank you for this, but there's a bit of an issue... I was hoping that this would come preset with the v2.10 PSGEN1 files in it, and it's just the base Algoring. I don't have anything I need in here, and I'm going to need lots and lots of help setting it up. I'm paranoid of doing it wrong!

I think I have the graphics I need, but I'm going to need to make sure I've set this up properly for the next version.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Oh, that.

And yeah, I saw it's b2, so it's the one I already had for PSGEN1.

Then, I think you should use the version I already shared, and just replace the files you need (put the .bmp files in the right subfolder of the edited folders) and it's okay.

Or just post all the files you have and I'll try to make you a ready-to-use version. I think I have all the .bmp files, I have the original text files but I don't have the SLPM ones.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Thank you! Let me get the icons I need before I send anything over to you. I'll also get you the MTE and the proper encoding for the icons.

Edit - OK, so I should have everything ready.

- BTLSYS.DAT: This contains 0000.bmp, which has the v2.10 English battle menu text-graphics.
- EVENT.DAT: All of the new PSGEN1 English v3.00 event text.
- FONTS: The entire FONTS folder. It should be set up how you need, but if you want, please check bf-encoding.txt and bf-width.txt to be sure I did everything right! All the icons I need are already in the extras folder.
- MAP.DAT: This contains 0003.bmp and 0004.bmp, which have all of the v2.10 English menu text-graphics.
- SLPM_623.62: All of the PSGEN1 English v3.00 menu text.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/86r9gwrb ... 0.zip/file
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff