Proof that The Old Man is not Myau

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Gipper » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:50 pm

So simple that I don't know why no one though of it...<p>The Elysdon has the souls of all of the dead Protectors from the past, right?<p>If the Old Man is Myau, how is he in the sword as well?
Gipper

Postby Malakai » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:14 pm

Gipper, the Old Man is Myau. Not any other musk cat has wings nor is that big nor ever had been, not any other musk cat had the Silver Tusk, and not any other musk cat would ahve recognized the protectors and then gave the treasure to them. The flashback scene from the Elsydeon is not a memorium to the fallen. It is showing in vision the protectors who fought against DF through the ages. In the english script we get confused with incorrect translations of key words and phrases, which I believe is what has happened in this case.<p>BTW, Lord Khyron and I have already had this conversation.
Malakai

Postby Gipper » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:16 pm

Again with the "Japanese version is the true PS, and the American version is a hack job" thing. That pisses me off. They are both equally valid.
Gipper

Postby Malakai » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:27 pm

You're putting words in my mouth. I'm not talking about validity, and I never implied that the english script is a hack from the japanese language. I am talking about understanding word usage. When translating from one language to another, contexual errors are made simply because of the usage a certain word in a certain language and culture; which meaning , to wit, is often something more understood by means of frequent parlant interaction (what we call 'nativity') rather than mental analysis. This happens ALL THE TIME in video games, not just our beloved PSIV.
Malakai

Postby Gipper » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:29 pm

<blockquote> In the english script we get confused with incorrect translations of key words and phrases</blockquote> <p>In other words, English PSIV is wrong because it is not a perfect copy of the Japanese PSIV.
Gipper

Postby Malakai » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:35 pm

Well, it's been enough to bring up this particular debate a few times, hasn't it?
Malakai

Postby ThePeaGuy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:01 pm

Man, this thread brings back memories...<br><p>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1109441005[/TIME]][/size]
ThePeaGuy

Postby Ultema » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:07 pm

The biggest problem I had in PSIV with translation error regarding muskcats was definately "Shuttlecock" @_@<p>rofl snagged from my other response on the OTHER muskcat topic:<p>‰H <---- "Hane" Wings/Plumage <p>‰H
Ultema

Postby Myau Froto » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:19 pm

Old Man is Myau. He was the only one to eat the Larema nut to grow the wings.
Myau Froto

Postby Benoit » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:16 pm

As if no other Musk Cat could eat one. %)
Benoit

Postby Myau Froto » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:51 pm

But how would they acquire one? Only time a Larema tree was mentioned was in one...and if i remember correctly (probably not as I haven't play PS1 in a long time) the tree dies.
Myau Froto

Postby Starlight » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:30 pm

Myau is so cute!<p>Of course it's Myau, though. Myau fought with the silver tusk, which he gave to Chaz.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Starlight on [TIME]1113348675[/TIME]][/size]
Starlight

Postby Myau Froto » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:37 am

Never mind the fact the Larema Tree was in PS1...so 2000 years later it would still be growing anyways? I find that impossible.
Myau Froto

Postby Benoit » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:57 pm

Oh come on, there were more Laerma Trees in PSI. You just don't get to see them.<br> <blockquote>Of course it's Myau, though. Myau fought with the silver tusk, which he gave to Chaz.</blockquote><br>View the item's description, and it will say that it has been passed down through generations. Myau bought the weapon in a shop, so...
Benoit

Postby Phantasy_Star_I » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:45 pm

It is completly obvious that myau is a totally different character than teh old man duh duh duh!!!! :@ everyone knows that ~0
Phantasy_Star_I

Next

Return to Phantasy Star