A fairly obvious question

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Malakai » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:50 pm

Ooooh...Did I hit a soft spot Benoit? Do you actually like Chaz? I sense some hostility here. I mean it was obvious that Zio was targetting the most deliquent fighter, figuring when he saw Chaz that he _couldn't_ miss a pipsqueak like him. But then lo and behold, Alys shoves him out of the way and takes it full on. It made me cry.
Malakai

Postby Lassic's Chllun » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:20 am

Well, I wonder why he didn't go after Demi? She wasn't fighting at the time, but she was around, and the only one who knew to shut down Nurvus. Any theories?
Lassic's Chllun

Postby Gipper » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Malakai</i><p>Better question yet: why did Alys have to take the shot at all? Why couldn't Chaz have gotten hit? He certainly deserved it more that she did, the brat.<br></blockquote><p>Uh...because he is the main character; the "Chosen One"; the one who has to cart Elysdon off to the Edge and stomp on the PD repeatedly. There aren't any characters in the game that used swords anyway (pictures Hahn trying to use the Elysdon). I suppose that Gryz, Demi, or Wren could have physically picked it up, but they are not the "Chosen One", so they couldn't have really used it.<p>As for the Demi question...as long as the ROM and RAM in the android isn't damaged, you could stick it in a new 'bot, and look, there's Demi 2!<p>[size=small][Edit by Gipper on [TIME]1109641302[/TIME]][/size]
Gipper

Postby Arkhan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:31 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Shell Presto</i><p>Because once you hit -10 HP or 0 constitution, nothing except a miracle can bring you back, and miracles don't happen often. (Traditional RPG rules, carried over to the game world.)<br></blockquote><p>Its funny too, because Wishes can also cause death ......DIE TERRASQUE DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :-D<p>If youve ever played the AD&D PC games back on Commodore, it cracked me up to no end when someone got ganked by dragon breathe, esp. in Pool of Radiance, OR in Might & Magic: The XEEN saga.............Heh when you fight Lord Xeen he can Eradicate you...and your characters icons become lil' skeletons, its classic........and revivage is hard !<p>The main reason really though that the characters cant be revived is <p>1) Plot Device<br>2) Like someone else said, the spells/items are like defribulators, itll save someone NEAR death....Note the Knocked Out status etc.<br>3) It shows that noones immortal! ......we all need to stop whining because our favorite 16-bit characters are getting killed off!!!! ....they have to die sometime......even though a certain blonde twit shouldve been obliterated by that instead.... >:)
Arkhan

Postby Forge » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:43 pm

<blockquote>Its funny too, because Wishes can also cause death ......DIE TERRASQUE DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :-D </blockquote> <p>Actually, in AD&D3, a Wish allows you to replicate any Level 9 or lower Arcane spell or any Level 8 or lower Divine spell. Disintegrate, which you may copy, only gets the Tarrasque down to -10HP. To suceed in killing him, he needs to be at -30 and then be kept dead with a specific wish.<p>Power Word Kill will only get him down to -10 as well.<p>Still, characters must die to progress stories.<p>Wouldn't Algo be a bit buggered if someone took Lassic to a church when you were fighting DF?
Forge

Postby Benoit » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:05 pm

Yes, I like Chaz. I feel he's one of the most misunderstood characters of the Phantasy Star series.<p>Alys took the blow because she wanted to protect Chaz, obviously.<p>Why Zio may have targeted Chaz we may never know. It's possible Zio felt potential in him, and decided that he should be dealt with.<p>Chaz is not a brat. He used to be a street thief, and Alys took him in and learned him things like not looking in cabinets. Besides, Rune DID choose him as Algol's champion.
Benoit

Postby Malakai » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:31 pm

In all truth Benoit, I actually do like Chaz. However, it wasn't the first nor the second time playing through PSIV that I gained a liking for him. My third time through I finally decided to play the Hunters' Guild missions, and it was during the mission 'Man with a Twist' that Chaz let's that conniving little twerp go free. I was quite irritated that the guy got off the hook, but then when I went back to the Guild and Chaz waves it off again and shows some inflection and maturity that began to change my opnion toward him. He's still not my favorite character, but I do recognize that of all the PSIV chars (and possibly of all the PS characters in general) his character development is the most profound.
Malakai

Postby Arkhan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:51 am

<blockquote>Its funny too, because Wishes can also cause death ......DIE TERRASQUE DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :-D </blockquote><p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Forge</i><p> <p>Actually, in AD&D3, a Wish allows you to replicate any Level 9 or lower Arcane spell or any Level 8 or lower Divine spell. Disintegrate, which you may copy, only gets the Tarrasque down to -10HP. To suceed in killing him, he needs to be at -30 and then be kept dead with a specific wish.<p>Power Word Kill will only get him down to -10 as well.<p>Still, characters must die to progress stories.<p>Wouldn't Algo be a bit buggered if someone took Lassic to a church when you were fighting DF?<br></blockquote><p>AD&D 3 is non existant sir...Please don't refer to TSR's masterpiece as having a 3rd ed...it never did.... You are referring to Dungeons and Dragons version 3.0.....this is what the majority of D&D players refer to as, crap. Wizards took the ENTIRE D&D system, and threw it out the door......lol......I refuse to play that game......we made a bonfire out of our PHB for that edition.....complete junk.<p>I still stick to my guns, and say 1st ed. AD&D is the best way to play D&D. sadly, it is far more streamlined then even 3rd. ed. because the hit/miss is determined by simple charts in the DMG, or DM Screen.............and everything is less complex....2nd Ed. Took the ideas of 1st, and built./ refined them.....but I can still handle 1st so I leave it at that....<p>and with that said, the desc. of the Tarrasque, taken from page 117 of Monster Manual II, For AD&D 1st ed.<p>If first explains the attack forms that he has (Claws , and their properties etc.), then the terror factor (7+ HD creatures can save vs. paralyzation to not flee...), Next it explains his carapace, and its defensive properties.....Bolts/Rays bounce off w/ a 1 in 6 chance of direct reflection onto the caster.....Fire is useless on him, and he regenerates 1HP / Round, (note ROUND, not Turn....), only +1 or better magic weapons harm him...............he can only be slain by having - 30 HP or less just like you stated, and then the wish spell is required to finish him off, because the Tarrasque can rejuvenate from a single cell.................<p>I dont remember if you could or not from the little bit of 3rd ed. I played, but in 1st, you can turn his carapace into gems, and his underbelly can be formed into metals for +5 shields.<p>My character which was a levle 19 paladin at the time armed w/ ethereal plate mail, and a +4 Vorpal 2x Handed sword, 2 level 17 wizards, a level 19 cleric, and a level 18 theif were able to drop this son of a B****....the theif lost a forearm in the process (it was bitten off). The wish to kill him was pulled out of our @$$ because both mages had been incapacitated from being gored by the horns, and then clawed......thats when we thought all hope was lost until I remembered the theif had a luck blade (allows wishes), stashed in his bag of holding (how he forgot this, I dont know)...so I used the ethereal plate mail to shift out of material plane, and walked to the theifs bag, came back to material, and yanked the sword out, got smacked like a little rag doll, but then pulled of a wish........after that happened, I proceeded to heal the group to the best of my current abilities, then completely ransacked the corpse for all the good parts, .....still have a +5 shield with spikes made out of the claws of the thing, and its teeth line the edges.........lets see some local theives mess w/ me now :)........god that was a mess....we ended up later finding a crazed biology/ wack job clericsort of dude, that we had a new forearm grafted onto the theif, ......from a trogolodyte....god its hilarious.......<p>D&D is fun<p>
Arkhan

Postby Forge » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:46 am

If only I could find a full set of AD&D rulebooks!<p>That would rule.<p>I only play 3rd Edition because I know all of it off by heart.
Forge

Postby Arkhan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:26 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Forge</i><p>If only I could find a full set of AD&D rulebooks!<p>That would rule.<p>I only play 3rd Edition because I know all of it off by heart.<br></blockquote><p>E-Bay. No joke. I got my friend a players handbook for 1st ed. off there for like 3$ and some mundane shipping fee. That is the best place to find them nowadays......you can even find 2nd ed ones on there....<p>or, if you have any hobby shops around you, they may still carry discounted 2nd ed books, or if you have a sweet bunch of hole in the wall comic/ hobby shops, theyre crawling w/ D&D stuff still lol.
Arkhan

Postby ROMeo » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:17 pm

Personally I have nothing against the d20 system, what I'm against is WoC insisting so fervently in turning DnD into a pathetic videogame with each new revision, it's already Dungeons&DIABLO by now ¬¬U<p>Of course, nothing like the real thing (AD&D), even if the most hard-core RPG purists hated TSR and had it in a concept as low as we have WoC. :)<p>...and getting back into topic, I have nothing against Chaz, it's just that he's so fun to make fun of. :)<p>[size=small][Edit by ROMeo on [TIME]1109888504[/TIME]][/size]
ROMeo

Re: A fairly obvious question

Postby zio_falz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 am

Gipper wrote:After Alys died, why didn't the characters ever bother to use Rever, Regen, Medic Power, or a Sol-Dew/Moon-Dew on her? Wouldn't that have brought her back to life?<br>Not as if Rune didn't have Rever when she died, then Demi could have used Medic Power and Chaz, Rika, and Hahn could each have used Gires.

She died because she was hit with the full black wave, not the black wave diet/lite that you get hit with after using the psycho wand.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star