Why does america suck?

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Why does america suck?

Postby ThePeaGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Then why are you bothered with homosexuals getting married? A marriage represents a bond between two people that love each other. How is that a sin when people of the same sex merely wants to express their love and affection for each other to the world? <p><p>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1110048282[/TIME]][/size]
ThePeaGuy
 

Why does america suck?

Postby LegoMuskCat » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:56 pm

I never said that I wasn't bothered...It does bother me. Let them live their lives, because it ain't none of my business. If they want to participate in those perverted behaviors, then so be it. That's their prerogative. It's a sin because God says so in the Bible. I believe in God's teachings, and no one is going to tell me otherwise. So let them express their love. Quite frankly, I don't care. I was merely stating my opinion and tried my best to support it.
LegoMuskCat
 

Why does america suck?

Postby ThePeaGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:09 pm

But did God actually say those things you've mentioned from the Bible? <p>Does God teach Man on how to live, or does Man teach themselves on how they should live? Why do we humans have free-will if we are dictated by the will of God?<p><p>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1110049944[/TIME]][/size]
ThePeaGuy
 

Why does america suck?

Postby LegoMuskCat » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:13 pm

Don't make me get my Bible out, PeaGuy. As much as I love a good debate, I'm not going to argue with you about this...I don't feel like preaching to the members, here. Unless you want me to, that is, then I wouldn't mind. Just give me the word.
LegoMuskCat
 

Why does america suck?

Postby Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:27 pm

<blockquote>But doesn't the Christian faith itself advocates peace to all mankind, regardless of what colour they are or what they are in to? I don't claim to know all about the Bible, but I remember reading a page from the book that states to those who choose to advocate ignorance and prejudice are commiting a sin. </blockquote><br>But saying that they can't get married IS NOT prejudice!<br>Marriage originated as a bond between a man and a woman, under God. Even if the US may have freedom of religion (which it isn't (*) ), marriage is heavily tied to religion. This is why it's not for people of the same gender.<p>Of course, nowadays, being married is also something tied to the state. You pay different taxes depending on if you're married or not. Homosexuals want to marry to have their bond recognized by the state. Suppose they adopt a child. Under the current system, if the father dies, the other father won't get the baby, as he's not the father. If he was married to the father, he would be seen as the one who the child goes to.<p>Let them create the bond under the state, but do not make it the same as marrying, because it isn't.<br> <blockquote>Does God teach Man on how to live, or does Man teach themselves on how they should live? Why do we humans have free-will if we are dictated by the will of God?</blockquote><br>The Bible is a general lead for life. Sort of like a hint-book for a non-linear RPG. There is a general goal to fulfill. It's up to you to choose how.<p>(*) Look at abortion. The woman doesn't have the right to choose abortion, because people crazed by Christianity believe it's killing. It goes so far as people destroying abortion centers, shouting "God sent me!".
Benoit
 

Why does america suck?

Postby Monocromatico » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:43 pm

It´s a fact that the Bible vehemently states, specially in the first 5 books that marriage between people of the same gender (or any behaviour considered by that time as a sign of homosexualism, like a man dressing a woman´s clothes and vice versa for example), and it is expected and even coherent of people who follow those teachings or those who had influences from this doctrine during their lives to be against gay marriage. If you do support gay marriage, please, do not try to convince these people that this is a good thing or that this is not a sin because faith is something that can´t be discussed, should only be respected as they are.<p>I personally have nothing against gay marriage. In fact, marriage is about two individuals that love each other choosing to share and live their lives together. This or that religion have different views on gays can do that as perfectly as heteros (I know that even a lot of non christians see gays as promiscuous and sex driven individuals... we know this isn´t true, or at least not different from heteros anyway. It´s the same as if I state that all men drink alcohol and beat the hell out of their wives - we know it isn´t true either by the same reasons), so I don´t see why their marriage should be forbidden under so called religion-free laws. I´m not for a religious gay marriage, as it would be considered a deliberated offense to the religion in question, let say, christianism - if your religion is against homosexualism, you should either become hetero or find another religion (or none) that will accept you as you are. You can´t have everything.<p>May people be against gay marriage or whatever they want. Just may not they try to keep their right to be happy because of their personal beliefs. I am way more for a gay couple that love and respect each other than a hetero couple where the husband beats the shit out of his wife and causes life long traumas to their kids.
Monocromatico
 

Why does america suck?

Postby ThePeaGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:25 pm

Eh, I don't mean to come across as some know-it-all who thinks that my views are right and that others are wrong and stupid, I'm not like that. I try very hard in my life to be tolerant of other people's beliefs -- be it judaism, christianity, sikhism, etc -- but I humbly admit that I am also suceptible to views that might come across as a form of prejudice as well. <p>You see, I have a habit of asking questions to people based on their faith and ideals, even if they are critically-based ones, to gain a better understanding of other people's opinions better, which can sometimes come across as me being arrogant. <p>I just think that the whole concept of disliking a religious wedding ceremony involving people of the same gender unfair, especially if they follow the said religious faith and they don't do anything wrong to hurt anybody.<p><p>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1110059622[/TIME]][/size]
ThePeaGuy
 

Why does america suck?

Postby Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:55 pm

Why is it unfair if it's not made for that purpose? Do you think it is unfair that we can't fly, because we aren't made for that purpose? It's a bit the same thing, really.<p>Why should people that are gay be able to do everything heterosexual people can? Their choice of life isn't natural. They can't have real sex, they can't kids of their own. They chose for these restrictions that nature gave them.
Benoit
 

Why does america suck?

Postby ThePeaGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:11 pm

Why is it right to disregard their rights as a human being even if they have different preferences in sexuality?<br><p>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1110061335[/TIME]][/size]
ThePeaGuy
 

Why does america suck?

Postby Monocromatico » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:24 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by ThePeaGuy</i><p>I just think that the whole concept of disliking a religious wedding ceremony involving people of the same gender unfair, especially if they follow the said religious faith and they don't do anything wrong to hurt anybody.<p>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1110059622[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><p>The judeo-christian religious concepts originally took in consideration the social rules that the ancients had to follow to keep their tribal lives in order, so they could live and survive in a harsh environment surrounded by stronger enemies. When this context became obsolete, people took those same rules as something else, and there is our actual society (gays and gay marriage, at ancient times, meant people that would not help to increase the local population - read, the number of labourers and soldiers -, so they were rejected. And badly cooked pork meat is a great vector for deseases, so it was considered "impure"). We don´t really have a reason nowadays to reject homosexuals, but people follow the ancient rules, giving them a new meaning so those words can still be their truth - everyone needs to believe that there is a truth.<p>The problem is that if their religion expressivelly forbids gay marriage - or even just being gay for that matter - they shouldn´t expect any kind of acceptance from said religion and their followers and priests. It´s like I wanted to become American, but I refuse to speak english as a principle, or if I wanted to become a writer, but refused to learn the ABC. Ok, sexuality isn´t that simple and isn´t much of a conscious choice (you can´t really choose who you are going to love), but when you want to follow some religion that rejects how and who you are, then you are just in the wrong place for you. So, they should either avoid a christian wedding ceremony and participation on the formal christian cults, or they should stop being gay (which is way more complicated, in my opinion).<p>I am for gay marriage, but not for a religious wedding cerimony, because it´s just nonsense, given how that religion is against that. If I was gay I would avoid a church where I´m not welcomed as what I am and I couldn´t do anything to change that - and I do, actually :^P
Monocromatico
 

Why does america suck?

Postby Benoit » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:33 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by ThePeaGuy</i><p>Why is it right to disregard their rights as a human being even if they have different preferences in sexuality?<br>[size=small][Edit by ThePeaGuy on [TIME]1110061335[/TIME]][/size]<br></blockquote><br>Marriage is part of religion, not of human rights.<br>Also, their choice of sexuality is unnatural. You can't get around that.
Benoit
 

Why does america suck?

Postby Monocromatico » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:41 pm

<br><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>Marriage is part of religion, not of human rights.<br>Also, their choice of sexuality is unnatural. You can't get around that.<br></blockquote><p>Marriage is not part of religion. It was adopted by all religions as part of the natural human behavior. The wedding ceremonies are part of religions, which is profoundly different.
Monocromatico
 

Why does america suck?

Postby KexMex » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:42 pm

...<br>Amusing, it started as a stupid thread about america, and ended up as a religious debate about homosexuality.<p>But still, could you guys please dump some hormones and get along for a while?
KexMex
 

Why does america suck?

Postby gm2987 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:23 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by KexMex</i><p>...<br>Amusing, it started as a stupid thread about america, and ended up as a religious debate about homosexuality.<p>But still, could you guys please dump some hormones and get along for a while?<br></blockquote><br>Could you please die and make everyone happy? That's not going to happen now is it? So please don't ask stupid questions (even if its in your nature).<p>I think that everyone has a right to get married, gay, streight, whatever. If the love is their, marrying someone is about loving them enough to basicly be reconized as one person. Its not about religion for the most part, the thing is Marriage itself has become in lined with religion instead of with happyness, the main problem about this is that becuase of this everyone who doesn't like gay marriage just say that they don't have that right becuase its not part of religion, however the real fault within this could be done away with easily if we had people get married by the state and not the church, however that rarely happens (and people still want to ban civil unions between gays so you can't say its not predjudice) So in other words, although Marriage is something in with the church for the most part people need to realize that marrige isn't just with the church its with the state as well, and the voting people of america have no right to bring religion into it.
gm2987
 

Why does america suck?

Postby BluesX » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:42 am

God doesn't exist.
BluesX
 

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 84 guests