Post what's on your mind now

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Black Sword » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:37 am

Maybe by being relaxed, you'll figure it out easier?
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
User avatar
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby carlsojos » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:45 am

Black Sword wrote:Maybe by being relaxed, you'll figure it out easier?

I agree. In college, I was the guy who always brought a bowl of ice cream or a couple freezer pops with me to Statics tests, and I was one of like 3 people who aced almost every single one- and I never studied. Too much stress is just as bad as not enough study time.
Image
User avatar
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Even if I knew where I was, would I tell you?

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Black Sword » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Too. Damned. Tired. Sleep. SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Edit 1: Hiearchy of Geekdom

I'm tier 3!
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
User avatar
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Wing-0 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 am

posting from the psp... my wireless switch broke. i opened the thing, desoldered it, threw it away and got a new one inside. like brand new... i win. yay!!!
Image
User avatar
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 am
Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby carlsojos » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Black Sword wrote:Edit 1: Hiearchy of Geekdom

I'm closer to tier 5: fanfic writer who puts himself into story. By my count, there's 3 such stories, and one of them features 5 of me and 1 anti-me. Good luck figuring that one out.
Image
User avatar
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Even if I knew where I was, would I tell you?

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Black Sword » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 pm

As I am higher up the hierarchy than you, that means I get to oppress you! MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

EDIT 1: Using Google Docs on IE7 is bloody awful.
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
User avatar
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby carlsojos » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Unless I get lucky and wind up making something publishable....

I've never used Google Docs, but I generally use OpenOffice for the most part, then convert over to Microsoft Office for spellchecking and proofreading, then convert back to OpenOffice for pre-tagging HTML, then to Notepad for an HTML template I made, then finally Notepad++ and/or KompoZer for final debugging. I don't think I'd be able to stand relying on only one program.

EDIT: Before I forget, unless something unforseen happens, I'll have those tropes tagged today for you review.
Image
User avatar
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Even if I knew where I was, would I tell you?

Postby Wing-0 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Today, my MP3 player, of the type that used a single AAA battery (a relic) died... I had to run before being killed by an asshole who didn't obey a stop sign and kept talking with some imbecile on the phone. I was listening to music and the little device came out of my pocket as I ran. More than a thousand kilograms crushed it... I'm keeping the remains of such a venerable apparatus. In memory of the little 1 Gigabyte MP3 player that lulled me into sleep for years and made my walks feel bearable.

However, it wasn't a completely bad day. I finally found the most difficult piece to find I need. A joystick for making my own fighting game controller! I think I can make it for both the PS2 and PS3... I just need to check the available electronic parts I have and if installing two sets of circuitry is possible. All that is left is the buttons. I need eleven of them! Square, Trangle, X, Circle, Start, Select, L1, L2, R1, R2 and the Home button for the PS3 version...
Image
User avatar
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 am
Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby carlsojos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:10 pm

What did I do yesterday.... Finished Black Sword's assignment (hope I pass), went for a 5 hour hike, got 2 "What the heck?" comments in response, finished a short story to start proofreading (I was aiming for flash fiction length, and overshot by exactly 2 words), wrote another chapter for Song and Dance, stared at my list of unfinished stories for an hour, read some other peoples' stories, realized my feet were blistered from all that walking, went bowling (paid with nickles and dimes), and served as designated driver for a drunk friend. And still woke up before 9.

I think yesterday counts as busy by my standards.
Image
User avatar
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Even if I knew where I was, would I tell you?

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Black Sword » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Savage beast physics
Obstacle to my writing
Blasted realism
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
User avatar
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby carlsojos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:45 pm

@Black Sword

physics aren't hard
work from results to the start
makes it easier
Image
User avatar
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Even if I knew where I was, would I tell you?

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

You know... You can ask around... Even me.

I have been following the earthquate > tsunami > partial nuclear reactor meltdown > volcanic eruption in Japan. Checking blogs, japanese TV and standard japanese media outlets, as well as scientific opinions by experts in geology, physics and other fields has proven to be quite an informative experience... And you know what? I'm hating every single minute of it.

When the disaster first struck, I was worried about four friends over there. One mexican and three japanese. They have all appeared, but one still has a missing brother and sister in law. They lived close to the city of Sendai, which for all effects and purposes was "washed away" by the impact of the tsunami. They are still listed as missing, but their family members are already counting them as dead.

Checking the media outlets offers the official version, but checking the blogs of people affected offers a complementary perspective.
Last edited by Wing-0 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 am
Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Black Sword » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:07 pm

@carlos

Your haiku fell flat
You were one syllable short
Now go try again

@WING-O
The Law of Conservation of Mass isn't exactly easy to break with science! Stupid transforming dragon. =/ I'm just about ready to let the wizard do it.
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
User avatar
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Heheheheh...

There's an escape method used in a few science fiction productions. You can say the... uh... dragon (assuming it was originally a human sized entity) absorbed matter from the surrounding medium and SOMEHOW organized it into organic matter... But that would require tremendous energy spending... You know what? Let the magician do it...
Image
User avatar
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 am
Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Post what's on your mind now

Postby Black Sword » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Welp. The physicist authorized it. I'm letting the wizard do it. That's my answer for how it's even possible. Thanks WING-0.

I've also been following the Japan situation. Here's the scary thought: Japan had a minute's warning which likely saved thousands of lives. How many would have died if they hadn't had that warning?

Also, to level up your hatred: gas futures have gone down slightly due to the tsunami, as Japan is likely to consume less gas in the near future, which reduces pressure on gas prices. Reconstruction is likely to have a minor boost effect on their stagnating economy. Every person who died helped create a job opening. All of these have received article write ups in the media.

As a professor of mine once noted, "Someone profits from every tragedy."
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
User avatar
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 107 guests