by Black Sword » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 am
I have a rant. About the only one who should be concerned is WING-0, since it concerns my beloved Macross franchise and may hit him with spoilers.
Now then, the director who made Macross 0 went with a really weird ending that was all artsy and crap, but so very unsatisfying. Like, you wanted some tasty pasta, but all you get is wet noodles, barely cooked kind of ending. No real conclusion, nothing. The majority of the fans were intensely, thoroughly disappointed. And this is a series where the love triangle is what most engages people and makes them voice their feelings. He made Macross Frontier, but was cockblocked from working on the ending. Much better ending, a bit ambiguous, things not quite resolved, but hints that let people go from there to decide how things end. In other words, you can resolve it to your satisfaction, picking either green girl, pink girl, or a full blown triangular ending with all three together. Yes, there were enough hints for that kind of end.
Fans were happy! They had a new toy and endless fodder for shipping wars!
Then they gave him two movies to play with. A re-telling of Frontier. One word: fuck.
I just found out, via unfortunate spoilers, that he pulled the same ending from 0 and stuck it into the second Frontier movie and killed the hero while doing so. Or made it seem so. Hard to tell, what with it being spoilers and me not having seen the movie yet, due to me not knowing Japanese and being at the mercy of the various subbing groups.
I found out that he even said, after he released the second movie, that parallels with 0 are present and obvious if you pay attention. Outraged, I watched the first movie today. Second one isn't subbed, and I had planned on watching them both after the second one was subbed...which might be a year from now, so there's a sign of my devotion.
Guess what? I did see the obvious parallels in the first movie to 0. So frakkin' obvious my eyes hurt and wanted to stab my brain to prevent the pain. That kind of obvious.
Now, the first movie is great. Great music, great fight scenes, happy as hell ending, with just that hint of sequel hook that you look for in a series of movies. Delicious movie. But now I know the ending of his re-telling will be angsty, will suck, and will make me very angry. [i]Again[i/]. I've heard people are even more upset this time around than they were for the original 0 ending.
Now, as a writer, I know you're supposed to tell your story, but there's a point where it goes from telling your story, and just being a prick to your audience. You have to take them into consideration too! Flargh. I may may a Writer's Life out of this, that's how much this pisses me off.
/rant
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen